• Red Giant
  • Red Giant
More
18 years 10 months ago #13271 by ftodonoghue
Replied by ftodonoghue on topic Re: Springs
thanks

Cheers
Trevor

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 10 months ago #13279 by briano
Replied by briano on topic Re: Springs
Hi Trevor,
There is a tool shop in Cork city called A.R. Brownlow, they should have any screws or springs that you would want.They have a wide range of tools, a few small lathes, screws and other stuff.
Just give them a ring first to make sure they have what you want.

021 4313377

A.R. Brownlow ltd
P.O. Box 112
South City Link rd
Cork

Brian O Leary

More
18 years 10 months ago #13280 by mjs
Replied by mjs on topic Re: Springs
Trevor,

I have a selection box compression springs. If the streched ones do not work for you, give me a shout. For information they were sold by Wúrth, the car accessory crowd.

Michael.

• DaveGrennan
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
More
18 years 10 months ago #13281 by DaveGrennan
Replied by DaveGrennan on topic Re: Springs
Here a trick I discovered a while back if you need good strong springs. This worked very well for me making a cell for a 12.5" mirror.

Take a lenght of aluminium tubing with an outside diameter the same as the inside diameter of the spring you want. Now take a bog standard stell coathanger. The sort you get from the dry cleaners. The steel used in these is very springy. Uncoil the coathanger and straighten it out best you can. Now Drill a hole through the top of the aluminium tube and insert the tip of the coathanger right throughthe tube. Clamp the tube in a vice and now start turning the coathager wire around the tube being careful to make the distance between the coils what you want them to be.. Once you have eough done you can then use a hacksaw to cut the spring into whatever lenghts you need. This might sound a bit slapdash but it works *very* well.

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

• ftodonoghue
  • Topic Author
  • Red Giant
  • Red Giant
More
18 years 10 months ago #13282 by ftodonoghue
Hi Lads

Thanks very much for all the tips, information, contact details and offers for springs. I reckon the ones I improvised should be strong enough. If they are not, I wont be long looking for new ones. When I have the dob finished I am sure Michael (mjs) will be casting his eye over it, and suggesting a few improvements. :wink:

I am thinking of using Silicone gel, and that glue that is sold in two tubes (adhesive and hardener) to mount mirror, with a few wraps of insulation tape around sides. What do you guys reckon...will this support the 8" mirror

Thanks again

P.S. Michael, I have taken a leaf out of your book and scavenged my first PC for its cooling fans and will also be mounting one to back of cell.

Cheers
Trevor

• ftodonoghue
  • Topic Author
  • Red Giant
  • Red Giant
More
18 years 10 months ago #13291 by ftodonoghue
No need to answer that question about the silicone adhesive. I have already mounted mirror using

silicone gel
Ardalite resin glue (Hardener and adhesive mix)
Super sticky impact adhesive from Evostik.

When set I will wrap insulation tape around the outside.

Surely this will hold mirror in place. If it wont, it is too late now.

Cheers
Trevor

Time to create page: 0.105 seconds