K-Tec

Dob stage 1 complete (there is hope for us all)

• ftodonoghue
  • Topic Author
  • Red Giant
  • Red Giant
More
18 years 10 months ago #13303 by ftodonoghue
Cell constructed, mirrors mounted and all inserted into tube along with focuser. I have managed to get my first glimpse through OTA of a nearby mountain. All is looking well so far.

Next step is the construction of mount and collimation. I hope everything goes as smoothly as stage 1. :D

Cheers
Trevor

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• DaveGrennan
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
More
18 years 10 months ago #13304 by DaveGrennan
Replied by DaveGrennan on topic Re: Dob stage 1 complete (there is hope for us all)
Trevor, well done!

A couple of little tips for the mount. Whatever bearings you are using for both axes, probably teflon?. Well dont fix them permanently until you are happy that the friction is right. Not too tight that its hard to move, but not so free so that a breeze can move the scope. Also make sure the mount is absolutely rigid. Use at least 3/4" Marine grade ply for the mount (Marine grade wont deteriorate under moist night air). If weight is not gonna be an issue use double thickness for the sides. Dont spare the screws and wood glue. A wobbly mount will spoil a great scope.

Good luck (not that youll need it)

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

More
18 years 10 months ago #13305 by dpower
How about a few photos? :D

IFAS web team

• ftodonoghue
  • Topic Author
  • Red Giant
  • Red Giant
More
18 years 10 months ago #13306 by ftodonoghue
Replied by ftodonoghue on topic Re: Dob stage 1 complete (there is hope for us all)
I will post pics in a few days, as soon as I take them. :wink:

I have a big sheet of .75 inch weather/water proof ply in shed waiting for my jigsaw, I must decide first how high to build the mount, The tube is pretty short at 40" more or less, and I reckon I need a tall enough mount for comfortable viewing...

Cheers
Trevor

More
18 years 10 months ago #13311 by spudnik
Hi Trevor,

Well done!

Don't forget when deciding the height that, due to the weight of the mirror at the back, the tube will stick out that bit longer from the front of the mount.

My tube is roughly 4ft 7" and my mount is only about 3 1/2ft high.

/Kieran

"Not only is the universe stranger than we imagine, it is stranger than we can imagine" Sir Arthur Eddington

• ftodonoghue
  • Topic Author
  • Red Giant
  • Red Giant
More
18 years 9 months ago #13418 by ftodonoghue
Replied by ftodonoghue on topic Re: Dob stage 1 complete (there is hope for us all)
Hi guys

Hope you dont mind another question.

I am thinking of building a mount with sides 3ft high. I was going to cut these in one piece (as in pic a). My question is ...
Will a 3ft long piece of .75" ply warp, Am i better using two shorter pieces, with one screwed and attached inside the other (pic B).

thanks in advance

Cheers
Trevor

Time to create page: 0.111 seconds