K-Tec

Dob stage 1 complete (there is hope for us all)

More
18 years 9 months ago #13425 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Dob stage 1 complete (there is hope for us all)
From working with wood myself, and putting the weight etc of your project, I'd go for 1" thick marine plywood. It is pricey but will not warp and last for years with one treatment.

Seanie

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 9 months ago #13428 by spudnik
I used a single sheet of 20mm MDF and don't forsee any problems with it. I don't think thered be a problem with marine ply either.

"Not only is the universe stranger than we imagine, it is stranger than we can imagine" Sir Arthur Eddington

More
18 years 9 months ago #13432 by mjs
Trevor,

I used a single piece of 3/4" WPB plywood for each side. I do not see the point in using two pieces (as in Picture B) except that it would allow you to alter the height or the bearing diameters without having to remake the box.

One piece is always lighter, more accurate and will be more rigid than two joined pieces as shown.

Use at least 3/4" Marine grade ply for the mount

A sheet of real Marine ply will cost you as much as what you will have spent on the 'scope so far, and be very difficult to source! WPB is what most people incorrectly call marine ply and is waterproof and stable. You will however come accross the occasional internal void at times in WPB and the outer wood is not as pretty as Marine ply.

I used a single sheet of 20mm MDF and don't forsee any problems with it

MDF is ok, specially if you use the Bathroom grade that is more moisture resistant and protect it well.

Michael

• ftodonoghue
  • Topic Author
  • Red Giant
  • Red Giant
More
18 years 9 months ago #13503 by ftodonoghue
Replied by ftodonoghue on topic Re: Dob stage 1 complete (there is hope for us all)
Have finished the mount with .75" wpp. I made the sides 3ft tall and 16" wide. There was however a slight problem with this, in that initally the top back part of the sides were not as stable as I would have liked. One well placed piece of wood(acting as wedge) seems to have solved the problem though.

The lesson learned is that a 3FT tall and 16" side may be a little over ambitious, but I think I just about got away with it. If I was starting again, I would keep the sides to some where in the region of 12", for more stability, and probably keep height of sides under the 3ft.

I dont know why I opted for 16" sides in the first place, I guess I thought it would lend stability. One plus side is that with the 3FT sides, the eyepiece should just about be at my eye level when the scope is pointed at the zenith.

I am just waiting to get my side bearnings, and I should be able to finsh the Project. I promise I will post some pictures, as soon as It is complete. :D

Cheers
Trevor

Time to create page: 0.102 seconds