K-Tec

advice needed

More
18 years 8 months ago #14894 by Macros42
Replied by Macros42 on topic Re: advice needed
I only got my first scope a few months ago. After a lot of advice from guys here I went for the Skywatcher 200 on EQ5. I'd recommend avoiding computerised mounts to start with. I'm learning the sky very fast by star-hopping manually. My next mount will be computerised ;)

As for the 200mm scope - I'm very happy with it. Got it from North Down astronomy for about €630. How much do you have to spend? Like the other lads said - get the best scope you can afford. My 8" scope will do me for years - I can replace the mount anytime but if I'd got a 5" scope with GoTo (which I was considering) I'd be replacing the whole package already :D

Some of the best advice I got was to forget photography for the time being. Learn the sky first then start taking pics of it. Good astrophotography kit is expensive but it doesn't need to be bought at the beginning.

To make you're mind up you could go along to one of the star parties or go along to a viewing session with members of one of the clubs here adn try out a couple of different scopes. It would give you an idea of
what to expect from different scopes.

Steve
--
"Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen" -- Albert Einstein

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.092 seconds