K-Tec

"Motor Unit Fault" on Meade DS2114

• cheggs
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
18 years 4 months ago #20651 by cheggs
Finally got around to sorting this problem out, after taking the DS's motor unit apart, checking it out etc...seemed to be no signs of wear and tear there. Thought it might be the hand set itself - brought it down to Black & Lizars in Belfast, they checked it out on one of their scopes upstairs, it brought up the same message - so problem with the 494 handset - they then quoted me around £180 for a new one (not the 494, a better one)!!! Told them no. Got in contact with BC&F in Telescope House, they couldn't have helped me more, got a new 494 for £40. Absolutely first class service. Got the handset 2 days after sending the cheque away, all in this week! Now have to get the scope recalibrated and collimated, it's been neglected for the last while. Still annoyed with Meade and their products though - "Motor Unit Fault" when it's nothing of the sort, a wild goose chase to get the thing sorted out....methinks when I upgrade, it won't be with them..... :shock:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 4 months ago #20653 by Matthew C
Replied by Matthew C on topic Re: "Motor Unit Fault" on Meade DS2114
It all seems a bit dodgy! I have heard of a lot of these cases with meade recently what with the meade etx 70 in lidl! When i upgrade, i think it will be with celestron!
Matthew C

We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time. . . .
T. S. Eliot
A wise man....

• cheggs
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
18 years 4 months ago #20654 by cheggs
What REALLY annoys me even more is that it was almost a "killer" in the sense of me just giving up on astronomy - you fork out £300 for a scope and you have problems with it straight out of the box (this is my second - I got my first DS2114 replaced after one day!). It was demoralising, and for a while I just gave up on observing - well,I'm back, now to relearn all I've forgotten....I wonder how many other newbies to astronomy have been lost in this way..?

More
18 years 4 months ago #20655 by dmcdona
Glad you got it sorted - but oh, the pain. And you're right - there could be hundreds out there who just gave up. What a terrible waste - shame on Meade.

However, just becasue Celestron is a competitor, don't think they don't have problems... By the way, I've no idea if they do - I've never had a problem with their stuff, but I didn't with Meade's either.

You'd be better off upgrading to Optical Guidance Systems or Astro-Physics if you want 100% guaranteed quality and instant tech support. But then you'll pay for it...

Anyhow - look forward to help you relearn everything you forgot :D

Cheers and welcome back!

Dave

More
18 years 4 months ago #20671 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: "Motor Unit Fault" on Meade DS2114
The most erratic and disturbing behavour I've ever seen from a goto mount was from a "Advanced Series CG-5" celestron mount, and oh my god :shock: it was slewing all over the place!! In a goto operation, it would actually slew past the target and keep going!, it was something to see.
BUT, I wouldnt condemn all those mounts just because a bad got through QC.
Just try and make sure its not you who ends up with the lemon. :)

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

Time to create page: 0.107 seconds