K-Tec

"Motor Unit Fault" on Meade DS2114

• cheggs
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
18 years 8 months ago #15555 by cheggs
So, I've been sitting in front of the telly, switching the thing on and off, and every so often I get a "testing motors" message, a bit of activity then silence....once, the motor just kept running and running - had to switch it off.I got one "in download" message where the screen was virtually blank - what the hell is happening here?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• cheggs
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
18 years 8 months ago #15574 by cheggs
Now getting an "under construction" message.... :shock:

More
18 years 8 months ago #15576 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: "Motor Unit Fault" on Meade DS2114
Isnt there an initialise option somewhere in the menus, have you tried that, its like a complete system reset.
I've heard that this fixed erratic motor operations on an ETX a few months ago.
and I have to ask, you have tried a different set of batteries just to definitely eliminate them :oops:

BUT, it looks like the gremlins are at work. I think its time to put it and you out of your misery and bring it to someone who can fix it. :(

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

• cheggs
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
18 years 8 months ago #15584 by cheggs
It's now back to "Motor Unit Fault"....going insane....can't reset or calibrate it, it won't let me enter any of the menus, the only buttons that work are the "Mode" and "Speed?" buttons - all mode does is restart the scrolling message again....what's really annoying is that every 20 or so power-ups (no joking) SOMETHING happens - a "Test motors" comes up, or it starts rotating round and round and round...until I switch it off again. If I didn't have double glazing it would be out the window.....

More
18 years 8 months ago #15585 by Liam
Replied by Liam on topic Try this
For what its worth here in my 2 cent worth.

I'd get onto Meade directly telling them that the difficulties started before the warrenty ran out. I'd go on to them about how committed you are to the Meade brand but that you are so disappointed with this problem. Make sure to tell them that you are a member of a very large Astonomy society in Ireland and that news of your problems is travelling fast among the Astronomy community in the country. I'd mention that you are considering abandoning Meade as a brand due to this issus and are considering purchasing a CELESTRON scope instead. Then ask them to get on the BC & F to arrange a warrenty repair. telling then how you will be telling the entire community through this web site how well Meade and BC & F looked after you with wonderful after sales service.

Its worth a try and might work.
:D

Liam

• cheggs
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
18 years 8 months ago #15588 by cheggs

I'd get onto Meade directly telling them that the difficulties started before the warrenty ran out. I'd go on to them about how committed you are to the Meade brand but that you are so disappointed with this problem. Make sure to tell them that you are a member of a very large Astonomy society in Ireland and that news of your problems is travelling fast among the Astronomy community in the country. I'd mention that you are considering abandoning Meade as a brand due to this issus and are considering purchasing a CELESTRON scope instead. Then ask them to get on the BC & F to arrange a warrenty repair. telling then how you will be telling the entire community through this web site how well Meade and BC & F looked after you with wonderful after sales service.

I think I might print this out and just read it out to them over the phone! :)

Time to create page: 0.109 seconds