K-Tec

Lidl Skylux Scope

More
18 years 4 months ago #21381 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Lidl Skylux Scope

Last time these scopes were on offer was 12 months ago. I guess you will be waiting at least that long for a repeat offer. That's what I did!

Thats if you're lucky - the smaller ETX series of scopes are being phased out for a new line of computer GoTo's by Meade.

Glad you had a positive outcome with our problem Don.
Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 4 months ago #21384 by cloudsail
Replied by cloudsail on topic Re: Lidl Skylux Scope
I think the ETX-70 has been phased out for a while, it wouldn't surprise me if LIDL got ahold of a warehouse full of closeout ETX-70s a couple of years back and have been carefully doling them out for the occasional loss leader. I do hope Bresser, Meade, Celestron or someone keeps improving ultra-compact telescopes because as light pollution increases, I have to drive or hike farther from home to find a dark sky. Even if I could afford it, I can't take an obsession 32" on an eclipse or camping trip.

More
18 years 4 months ago #21419 by nosmo
Replied by nosmo on topic Re: Lidl Skylux Scope
Anybody got any comment on the new mount? I helped a friend put one together this week and although the tripod assembly is more sturdy and got less slack it seems lower to me with only one extension piece.
And the assembly of the mount to the tripod was problematic. I think we will have to shim this with some teflon to get a stable result.
There is a large retaining screw with a circlip and a shoulder which tightens against the mount but still leaves some slack in the overall assembly. We solved the problem on night one by using cardboard shim to try out the scope - longer term solution would be to have some teflon shims ( about 0.5 - 1 mm) Or could use that clear material for copying slides on a photpcopier., its a heat-resistant clear plastic.
I dont think we missed any bits or lost any big plastic washers.
Anybody else got a problem?
As another comment the locking screw for the base rotation went crossthread with no force whatsoever and got really banjaxed on the screwing out. Cracked the plastic, vice grips to unscrew, had to rethread with a tap.
So we got a few additional hours leisure activity fixing the thing.
Fixed now - friend is pleased and impressed with the kit, including the not wonderful lenses.
Another formerly interested person now outside in the garden in the cold looking through a skylux and asking questions that i cant answer.
I see they improved the crappy screws on the ra/dec flex controls - much better now and you can tighten these without pliers.

Nosmo

Whatever you say, say nothin'

Time to create page: 0.097 seconds