Meade ETX-70 FAQ

• albertw
  • Topic Author
  • IFAS Secretary
  • IFAS Secretary
More
18 years 4 months ago #20863 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: Meade ETX-70 FAQ

Thank you Seanie for the very timely reminder that the ETX 70 is 9v.
Does any have a "cheaper"or more convenient way of powering the scope other than feeding it lots of AA or 9v pp3 batteries

Just get a cheap transformer. 220V ones are easy to come by. 12V DC to 9V DC etc. are probably easiest got from car accessory stores. To power random gadgets from the cars 12V cigarrete output.

Cheers,
~Al

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 4 months ago #20876 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Meade ETX-70 FAQ

Thank you Seanie for the very timely reminder that the ETX 70 is 9v.
Does any have a "cheaper"or more convenient way of powering the scope other than feeding it lots of AA or 9v pp3 batteries

Just get a cheap transformer. 220V ones are easy to come by. 12V DC to 9V DC etc. are probably easiest got from car accessory stores. To power random gadgets from the cars 12V cigarrete output.

Cheers,
~Al

I have been looking for a 12 volt to 9 volt converter myself, to use with such car power packs when 'in the field'. So far, nothing great or worthwhile has been found.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
18 years 4 months ago #21420 by nosmo
Replied by nosmo on topic etx go-to miss
I get a consistent misalignment on my scope.
I have checked the location entry, done the easy align, adjusted synchronised etc - then when it slew to next requested object the position is not ok, usually not in the vision from the scope.
So i expect i do something wrong. Tried entering different time as in 1 hour forward, 2 hours forward etc. Dont help.
Any comments or suggestions to highlight sometning obvious that i am missing?
Thanks
Nosmo

Whatever you say, say nothin'

More
18 years 4 months ago #21428 by donkearns
Replied by donkearns on topic Re: Meade ETX-70 FAQ
Nosmo,

I had problems with my ETX and Meade (Germany) sent me the following checklist. They were not all relevant tbut seem to be a general checklist. I see that some of them may help to resolve yours.

Hope it helps.

Don

ETX 70 AT
Refraktor

Aperture: 70 mm
Focal length: 350 mm

The specialty of this telescope: Finding of celestial objects is made easy by the Autostar Computer after a brief alignment.

Hints for the handling of the ETX 70 / Service and problem solutions:
1. Level telescope tube an let it point straight north
2. Tighten Azimut and horizontal lock until a firm feel

Autostar displays “Motor failure”:
1. Press and hold “Mode” button for 2-3 seconds. The telescope now performs a motor test and is ready for use.
2. If necessary, change the batteries. Alkaline Batteries are best, do not use rechargeable ones.

Easy-Alignment

This is the fastest and most convenient way to align the ETX 70. The Autostar needs the following data for the very first alignment:

• Telescope model
• Alignment method
• Country
• City

Date, Time and Daylight savings yes/no are asked for every alignment.
The Autostar then picks automatically two alignment stars from its database. After the telescope slew to the first alignment star, the user is prompted to centre it in the field of view by using the arrow keys and press “Enter”. With the second alignment star, the procedure has to be repeated. The alignment is finished!

Important points to the ETX 70, occurring frequently:

From time to time, a “Motor training” should be done. This is described in the instruction manual and leads to a better pointing accuracy.

After a prolonged time of tracking, the telescope may lose the object. In this case, the object can be re-centred in the field of view by using the arrow key at a slow slew speed setting. Now press “Enter” for 2-3 seconds; Autostar displays “Enter for sync.” After a second brief press, the ETX 70 is successfully re-synchronized to the object.

“The telescope doesn’t move”: Tighten the axis locks up to a firm feel.
“Picture is upside down”: For astronomical purposes, it is not relevant. For terrestrial observations, use the Amici-prism.

“Motors make a slightly noise while tracking”: This is normal.

I really must think of something interesting to use as a tag line!

More
18 years 3 months ago #22184 by Moe
Replied by Moe on topic Re: Meade ETX-70 FAQ
Hi all. Just to say, I got an ETX 70 from Lidl (but wasn't allowed near it til Christmas), and I find that a handy thing to note when aligning it is that just because the tripod is level and the declination scale is at zero, it doesn't necessarily mean that the tube is level. I find that by offsetting the declination by a few degrees sometimes gives a more accurate alignment. :wink:

Let's go burn down the observatory, so so this'll never happen again!

Time to create page: 0.104 seconds