Meade ETX-70 FAQ

• albertw
  • Topic Author
  • IFAS Secretary
  • IFAS Secretary
More
18 years 4 months ago #20797 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: etx 70

I have an external power pack which supplies 12 v. Is there a connection anywhere on the unit to connect this external source. I have looked hard but cannot see one. I have seen connecters on sale but cannot find anywhere on scope to plug it in.

From memory (as my ETX is in the Welsh mountains...)
There is no handy socket, but iirc, the batteries connect via the same connector that you get on a 9V pp3 battery. So you need to buy or make a connector from your power source to this instead of using the battery pack.

Cheers,
~Al

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 4 months ago #20799 by jeyjey
Replied by jeyjey on topic Re: Meade ETX-70 FAQ

Regarding questions -
every time i switch on the hand controller says "initialising", have to do the sun confirmation, bypass the detail instructions, enter the time ( and date if next day) to get to the align option. Is it supposed to do this every time or have i missed some confirmation entry somewhere or got a sequence wrong?

You do have to do the setup each time you power on. The telescope does not have a battery backed memory.However, the setup should take only two minutes or so.

I think you can turn off the sun warning under the utilities menu (at least you can on the ETX105).

-- Jeff.

Nikon 18x70s / UA Millennium                              Colorado:
Solarscope SF70 / TV Pronto / AP400QMD             Coronado SolarMax40 DS / Bogen 055+3130
APM MC1610 / Tak FC-125 / AP1200GTO               Tak Mewlon 250 / AP600EGTO

More
18 years 4 months ago #20803 by donkearns
Replied by donkearns on topic Re: Meade ETX-70 FAQ
The ETX-70AT manual states that if there are problems with this scope, you should contact customer support, where "the great majority of servicing issues can be resolved by telephone, avoiding the return of the telescope to the factory". The number in the manual is incorrect, as it has changed. The company dealing with this matter is Geologistics Ltd in the UK. The number for their "reception" is +442089173000. They will route your call to a guy called Sulie (I had them spell it for me) but his direct line number is +442089173120. Yes, I am having problems with my telescope. The motor drive won't work in the vertical plane. :( and the sky was so clear last night too!

I really must think of something interesting to use as a tag line!

More
18 years 4 months ago #20804 by donkearns
Replied by donkearns on topic Re: Meade ETX-70 FAQ
Sorry all. I need to amend my last post. When I rang Sulie's number, as previously supplied, I was told that it should actually be +442089173102. You can also email them at service@meade.de

I really must think of something interesting to use as a tag line!

More
18 years 4 months ago #20850 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: etx 70

I have an external power pack which supplies 12 v. Is there a connection anywhere on the unit to connect this external source. I have looked hard but cannot see one. I have seen connecters on sale but cannot find anywhere on scope to plug it in.

From memory (as my ETX is in the Welsh mountains...)
There is no handy socket, but iirc, the batteries connect via the same connector that you get on a 9V pp3 battery. So you need to buy or make a connector from your power source to this instead of using the battery pack.

Cheers,
~Al

DON'T FORGET you guys - as Albert said Peter, the ETX is a 9 volt machine! Don't try using it with a direct 12 volt source, or you'll perverbally fry the circuit board fast enough!

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
18 years 4 months ago #20861 by Peter Green
Replied by Peter Green on topic Re: Meade ETX-70 FAQ
Thank you Seanie for the very timely reminder that the ETX 70 is 9v.
Does any have a "cheaper"or more convenient way of powering the scope other than feeding it lots of AA or 9v pp3 batteries

Albert, thanks for your response.
Regards and Clear Skies,
Peter

Time to create page: 0.108 seconds