Lidl Binos

More
19 years 4 months ago #6694 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re: Lidl Binos

"a bird" you say, yea??? :wink:

yes... a little birdie... why?
:lol:

she flew off on you then, yea? :wink:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 4 months ago #6695 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Lidl Binos

I'm not going down this road on a public forum!

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
19 years 4 months ago #6699 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Lidl Binos

I'm not going down this road on a public forum!

Seanie.

was probabily after been out all night "looking at the stars" :D
who'd believe such an reason :wink: :wink:

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
19 years 4 months ago #6704 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Lidl Binos
sayin' nuthin'.....

:D

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
19 years 4 months ago #6710 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re: Lidl Binos
:P

More
19 years 4 months ago #6814 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: Lidl Binos
From Terry:

Some people have been asking me about the binoculars featured in the next Lidl Special Offer, available from Monday 13 December.
These are 8-24 x 50 zoom, costing £19.99 in N.I., and according to the website €19.99 in ROI (not fair!).
I obviously haven't seen them yet, but I'm not sure that they would be good for astronomy. For a start, zoom binocs are generally not ideal for astronomy, as the extra zoom lens elements degrade the image by the extra internal reflections and scatterings. Secondly, it costs more to produce the zoom elements & mechanism, so if they are still keeping the price low, the quality must be suffering somewhere! (Although I must say that the quality of all their other optical items has always been quite good. I've had various good reports on their two bargain telescopes, recently featured.) Third, the zoom mechanism is one more part to go wrong, although they are of course covered by guarantee.
The glass type (I presume for the prisms) is quoted as BK7, which isn't quite as good as the usual BAK4 (but it's still acceptable). It says that the lenses are 'blue', which I presume is an anti-reflection coating, but it doesn't indicate if it's multi-coating, or broadband, or full multi-coating, etc, etc. You would need to read what's on the box to be sure.
But my most serious reservation is the small field of view, which is 78m at 1000m, or just about 4.5 degrees, at 8x. Most 8x binocs would have a FOV of about 8 degrees; my 10x50's have a 7 degree field. So 4.5 degrees is really quite small, giving the impression of 'looking down a tunnel'. And the FOV will decrease considerably with higher zoom magnification.
They do have a tripod socket at the front of the centre bar, but it doesn't say whether a tripod adaptor is included.
They look well enough made from the photo, but it's impossible to say until you actually see & hold & try them. A case, strap, & lens caps are included.
So my advice would be not to rush to buy them first thing on Monday - if I get a chance I'll check out a pair 'in the flesh', and report further if I think they're worth considering.
They might be OK for birdwatching, especially at the ROI price of €19, but you would need a tripod to use them at x15 or more.
Or at that price you might like to split them into two high-power finders for your telescopes! If the zoom elements are not actually integral with the eyepieces, you could dispense with them and probably get a larger FOV. But attempt that at your own risk!

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

Time to create page: 0.113 seconds