Hi,

Yep thay are available up north.
www.lidl.ie/ie/index_ni.nsf/pages/c.o.oow.20041213.index

Cheers,
~Al

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 4 months ago #6650 by John C McConnell
Replied by John C McConnell on topic Re: Lidl Binos
Hi Al,
many thanks!
just in time for our EAAS meeting tonight.

Johnmc.

More
19 years 4 months ago #6656 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Lidl Binos
If they're glass lenses, and there isnt too much distortion, then they're worth it.
And they have a zoom from 8 to 24X, was that in the previous binos?

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
19 years 4 months ago #6663 by gnason
Replied by gnason on topic Re: Lidl Binos
Are you guys getting these Lidl binoculars for daytime use? They don't look too good for astronomy. Blue lenses!!! What's that, blue tinted glass? There is no mention of coatings at all so presumably light transmission is down and lens flare may be a problem! Zoom binoculars (especially cheap ones) are not as good as single mag. binoculars. Bak 7 is made from Crown glass so at least the lenses are not plastic but Bak 4 is best for astronomy. Would it not be best to save the €20 and put it towards a decent pair of binoculars?

Gordon

More
19 years 4 months ago #6670 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Lidl Binos

Are you guys getting these Lidl binoculars for daytime use? They don't look too good for astronomy.
Would it not be best to save the €20 and put it towards a decent pair of binoculars?

Gordon

Gordon,
you are right, but I suppose it is all relative to each person.

For example, I got a pair the first year they came out (over 2 years ago). Mine are the Optus 8-24 X 50 zoom, and they are great for astronomy. The lenses are glass, and coated (red), there appears to be no diffracction as far as mine and other viewers eyes could pick up, no aberration, and very clear sharp images either astronomically or during daytime use.

Even if these ones on sale now are made with plastic or similar lenses, there is nothing to stop you from looking through them in store. If one decides to do this, they should note if they see any blueish tinge effects when looking through them - aberration. You will know what I mean, if you don't know what I am talking about, but see it for yourself!

And while we are on it, I did some shopping in Aldi last night before the TAS meeting (but I forgot to mention it then!) that there were about 20 pairs of the exact same binoculars in Aldi, as the ones seen in the Lidl brochure - same grips and all.

It kind of renforces my belief that products sold in Lidl and Aldi are in fact made by the big companies but probably as Grade B stuff - For example, there is a Draper Tools tool kit with sockets, screwdriver and bits, pliers and wire clippers, and a jewel screw driver set for sale in the hardware section in Tesco... the exact same box and pieces (colours and all) were sold in Aldi in August (I have them) under the name Workzone!

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
19 years 4 months ago #6675 by cobyrne
Replied by cobyrne on topic Re: Lidl Binos
I've just made a quick visit to Aldi in Parnell Street, and I spotted a 76mm (I think) reflector telescope on an altazimuth stand. I didn't take a good look at it.

More info from the IFAS Aldi and Lidl optical supply intelligence network! :)

Time to create page: 0.112 seconds