• Donegal Skies
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
13 years 1 month ago #88619 by Donegal Skies
Help- CG5-GT No Response 17/16 was created by Donegal Skies
Help!!

I am currently out setting up my CG5-GT mount and whenever I turn the mount on it says “No Response 17” or “No Response 16” and the mount does not respond to the hand controller. If I turn the mount off and on again sometimes it allows me to input all the info (time, date.. ect) and begins to slew to my first alignment star.. then it says “No Response 17” or “No Response 16” and continues slewing on till I just have to switch the mount off to stop it crashing in to itself.

The mount has done this before when I connected it the mains power supply. Since December I have been using the mount with a power pack (on numerous occasions) and ever had this problem again on till tonight.

I permanently store the mount outside on a pier and cover it with a upside-down trash can that clips into place to create a water proof environment.
Has anyone experienced this before or know what’s causing it?

Thanks for your time,

Brendan

C8N/Omni XLT 150
CG5 GOTO Mount/CG4 Mount with Motor Drive
Self-Modified Canon Digital Rebel/Stock 18-55mm lens/Sigma 70-300mm APO Lens/Philips SPC 900nc
My Flickr Page
Donegal Skies

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Donegal Skies
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
13 years 1 month ago #88624 by Donegal Skies
Replied by Donegal Skies on topic Re: Help- CG5-GT No Response 17/16
FYI,

Last night was very humid here, as usual, so I went back out again after I posted this message and give everything a good aul blast with the hairdryer. The mount worked seamlessly after this so maybe it was moisture in the connection sockets that was causing the problem.

Brendan

C8N/Omni XLT 150
Self-Modified Canon Digital Rebel/Stock 18-55mm lens/Sigma 70-300mm APO Lens/Philips SPC 900nc
My Flickr Page
Donegal Skies

More
13 years 1 month ago #88626 by Mike
Replied by Mike on topic Re: Help- CG5-GT No Response 17/16
Hi Brendan
I have the same mount and it is very reliable and has never given me any trouble (thus far). Try this excellent website: www.nexstarsite.com/ it has extensive info on the problem you are encountering. Have you also updated your firmware (MC and HC) to the latest releases?

Clear skies
Mike

I83 Cherryvalley Observatory

After one look at this planet any visitor from outer space would say; "I WANT TO SEE THE MANAGER".

• carlobeirnes
  • IFAS Sponsor & Astronomer of the Year 2013
  • IFAS Sponsor & Astronomer of the Year 2013
More
13 years 1 month ago #88692 by carlobeirnes
Replied by carlobeirnes on topic Re: Help- CG5-GT No Response 17/16
Hi Brendan,

Definitely update the firmware and the hand controller asap anyway. All the downloads should be on the celestron website. If you don't have the cables email me your address and I'll post them to you, I have them out in the observatory I don't need them or use them anymore so you can have them.

Carl.

Carl O’Beirnes,
Scopes and Space Ltd,
Unit A8 Airside Enterprise Centre,
Swords, Co Dublin,
Ireland.
www.scopesandspace.ie/
www.facebook.com/scopesandspace
twitter.com/ScopesandSpace
www.youtube.com/user/ScopesandSpace

• DaveGrennan
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
More
13 years 1 month ago #88693 by DaveGrennan
Replied by DaveGrennan on topic Re: Help- CG5-GT No Response 17/16
Brendan, also check the power pack is delivering enough current. They do tend to degrade over time.

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

• Donegal Skies
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
13 years 1 month ago #88717 by Donegal Skies
Replied by Donegal Skies on topic Re: Help- CG5-GT No Response 17/16
Thank for all the help lads,

I use a car batter jump starter as a power source and it is only a few months so I think it should be ok. Carl, I have not made any updates to the mount or hand controller yet. I recently bought an autoguiding set up and a ST4 cable to connect the mount to the laptop. Will this work for updating the firmware? I am away from home all this week so I cannot check it out at the min. I have a feeling that my hand controller is the oldest version and cannot be updated even though I only bought the mount brand new of astronomy Ireland at the end of 2009. If the ST4 cable I have isn’t going to work for updating my mount I would defiantly like to take you up on your very generous offer, Carl. My PMs are not working on there so if I need more than the ST4 cable I already have could you please email me with your email address me on my email: donegalskies (at) gmail (dot) com.

Thanks again for all your help guys,

Clear Skies,

Brendan

C8N/Omni XLT 150
My Flickr Page
Donegal Skies

Time to create page: 0.112 seconds