Advice on eyepieces

• Keith g
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
13 years 2 weeks ago #89089 by Keith g
Advice on eyepieces was created by Keith g
Hi all, I have been out of the eyepiece market for some time now - in fact I haven't bought one in over 10 years :blush:

I'm looking for an eyepiece at 4-5mm to provide a good high power view through my william optics 110mm apo. I current have a set of celestron plossls which are about 10 years old at this stage and I'm sure eyepieces have improved a hell of a lot since then. I've been looking at two:

www.scsastro.co.uk/catalogue/orion-epic-...series-eyepieces.htm

www.iankingimaging.com/show_products.php?category=67
Meade series 5000 which are more expensive.

I wish I could get a televue :whistle:

Any advice would be welcome, thanks

Keith.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 2 weeks ago #89090 by Nerro
Replied by Nerro on topic Re: Advice on eyepieces
well I don't know if that helps you.I am saving on a new eyepiece myself,and lately leaning towards hyperion zoom.they are getting excellent rewievs and are not that expencive with a wide range of magnification.if you would add a good barlow I think that would be perfect.at least that's what I am thinking....

More
13 years 1 week ago #89093 by lunartic_old
Replied by lunartic_old on topic Re: Advice on eyepieces
Hi Keith

Those Series 5000s are not cheap are they?

You say that you can't afford a Televue, but for a few extra € a Televue is within your reach. The great thing about Televue is their resale value, I don't think that the Meade will hold their value as much.

Unless you are desperate to get an eyepiece now, hold on, save a little more, and keep your eye on the second hand market.

I have not used the Hyperion zoom, but I have used Hyperions in the past and I think they are excellent.

I believe to compliment an excellent scope like the WO 110, it is best to use better quality eyepieces, it deserves it.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.

Rich Cook

• Keith g
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
13 years 1 week ago #89094 by Keith g
Replied by Keith g on topic Re: Advice on eyepieces
Thnaks guys, you're both probaly right, the hyperion zoom would be an option, maybe i'll keep saving the pennies for the televue so...the WO 110mm has some superb optics

Decisions Decisions.....

Keith..

More
13 years 1 week ago #89107 by johnomahony
Replied by johnomahony on topic Re: Advice on eyepieces
One good eyepiece is better than 3 average ones. I am replacing my hyperions with Naglers one at a time. The Hyperions are good but they are not Naglers

The Lord giveth, the Revenue taketh away. (John 1:16)

www.flickr.com/photos/7703127@N07/

More
13 years 1 week ago #89110 by Calibos
Replied by Calibos on topic Re: Advice on eyepieces
I hope to start doing the same when me car repayments finish next year. ie. Start selling off my Hyperions and replacing with eyepieces with green lettering :D Gutted that I missed the Televue NEAF 20/20 promotion (20% off!!) though, even if only to make the saving on one Eyepiece. Hope they do something similar next year. I had thought that this was just at the event itself, then during the Al Nagler interview on Cloudynights I heard them mention the website and so then I assumed it was Event and Televue website only. Only when I was adding the entire Ethos Focal Length range to a basket on Teleskop Service last night during one of those, 'Imagine if I won a few quid in the Lottery' flights of fancy, that I discovered that all Televue dealers everywhere had the 20% discount.

Can ye just imagine opening your EP case full of Ethos. It would be like the scene at the truckstop in Pulp fiction except instead of their being a golden glow when they opened the case it would be a Green Glow :D :D

Keith D.

16" Meade Lightbridge Truss Dobsonian with Servocat Tracking/GOTO
Ethos 3.7sx,6,8,10,13,17,21mm
Nagler 31mm

Time to create page: 0.108 seconds