K-Tec

Advice on eyepieces

More
12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #89372 by mykc
Replied by mykc on topic Re: Advice on eyepieces
Hi Keith, I did a bit of research on eyepieces myself recently prior to investing in a short focal length eyepiece intended mainly for viewing the moon and planets. Lots of people reckon that orthoscopics, with their relatively simple design and few elements, are best for revealing detail on planets. They have narrow fields of view, but that is not a major issue for planetary viewing. The University Optics orthoscopics, which appear to be identical to the Baader ones, are very highly regarded, and are quite reasonably priced. In the event, I was put off by their short eye relief and opted for a Siebert Optics 3.9 mm "Star Splitter" (what a great name :) ), which is a modified orthoscopic that has much better eye relief. I'm very happy with it, it is comfortable to use, gives lovely views of Saturn and does a good job splitting difficult double stars, but I haven't had an opportunity to compare it with Televue or other rivals. Please let us know what you decide to get and what your impressions are. Happy shopping, Mike.

Skywatcher 120 mm ED on a CG5 mount.
Orion UK 300mm Dobsonian
Last edit: 12 years 11 months ago by mykc.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #89379 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Advice on eyepieces
Hi Mike,
The club here has a set of eyepieces with the club scopes, one of the eyepieces is an 18mm orthoscopic and it works extremely well with the clubs 10" SCT which is a F10 on the planets and the Moon. In fact it is thee best eyepiece of the set with this scope by a mile.
However I tried it on my F5 dob and the image was abit mushy, looks like it couldnt handle the shorter focal ratio, I dont know if this is a characteristic of all orthoscopics or just this one, something worth looking into.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor
Last edit: 12 years 11 months ago by dave_lillis.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.104 seconds