• RandomPillars
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
12 years 3 months ago #91939 by RandomPillars
Collimating tools was created by RandomPillars
Hi Folks,

I'm getting my new 10" truss dob soon (probably start of Feb). From my limited knowledge, they need to be collimated more often than other types of scopes. Which collimating tool do you think I should get for this reflector? Cheshire eyepiece or laser collimator?

Any help really appreciated.

Random

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 3 months ago #91942 by paul mc c
Replied by paul mc c on topic Re: Collimating tools
Hi i own a 12'' truss dob,and you are right they do need collimating regularly.
I had a lazer and to be honest i found it more hassle than it was worth,if it
wasnt accurate it was a nightmare.
I bought a cheshire and it was the best money i spent.In a matter of seconds
the scope is perfectly collimated before each session,and no batteries needed!

Paul
The following user(s) said Thank You: RandomPillars

• RandomPillars
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
12 years 3 months ago #91950 by RandomPillars
Replied by RandomPillars on topic Re: Collimating tools
That's great,

Thanks for the info Paul. Much appreciated. Also, not having to worry about collimating the laser itself would be good.

More
12 years 3 months ago #91999 by Calibos
Replied by Calibos on topic Re: Collimating tools
I'd go for a cheshire for the reasons Paul outlined above. Even the cheap ones are good. If or when you decide that Reflectors are definately for you or even if the hobby is for you and you know you are in it for the long haul then you can think about investing in a quality laser like a Glatter and Blug. Cheap lasers are more hassle than they are worth. A good laser is priceless.

Keith D.

16" Meade Lightbridge Truss Dobsonian with Servocat Tracking/GOTO
Ethos 3.7sx,6,8,10,13,17,21mm
Nagler 31mm

More
12 years 3 months ago #92001 by Nerro
Replied by Nerro on topic Re: Collimating tools
I would actually argue the point that lasers are a nightmare.I had the same opinion a while ago aswell until one of the members here pointed me into right direction how to use it.Now I am always collimating with a laser and a barlow which takes around 5min to do it and is always on the spot...going to send you the article martinus gave me when I will get home.have a look at it if It's any use for you.
The following user(s) said Thank You: martinus

More
12 years 3 months ago #92002 by martinus
Replied by martinus on topic Re: Collimating tools

Calibos wrote: I'd go for a cheshire for the reasons Paul outlined above. Even the cheap ones are good. If or when you decide that Reflectors are definately for you or even if the hobby is for you and you know you are in it for the long haul then you can think about investing in a quality laser like a Glatter and Blug. Cheap lasers are more hassle than they are worth. A good laser is priceless.

Definitely in agreement with this. I use a cheshire to collimate my schmidt newtonian and it couldn't be simpler, the only proviso is - due to the size of your scope - that you almost need another person turning the collimation screws as you sight through the cheshire. The alternative is a lot of running back and forward between the screws and the cheshire.

I have a 254mm scope so I invested in a Hotech laser collimator which is very well made and is itself well collimated. One can see the effects of turning the collimation screws on a small window on the collimator.

Tips:
1. Number the screws so you can remember which one you're turning or communicate it to your assistant (bit of masking tape with a number beside each screw).
2. Mark the initial screw positions with a dry-wipe marker. If everything gets worse you can at least return to your starting position.
3. Do your collimation after the scope has cooled to ambient temperature at the site you're going to be using it. Thermal changes and simply transporting the scope are both potentially going to affect your collimation.
4. Don't kill yourself over this - I know a very few people who really agonise over collimation and spend more time on it than enjoying the view. 'Close' is generally good enough. :)

Time to create page: 0.135 seconds