K-Tec

New Telescope, budget 2000 euros. some advice please.

More
11 years 11 months ago #93782 by dmcdona
Dave - you're being bombarded with so much information its probably wrecking your head.

Unfortunately, that's the nature of astrophotography. I think Michael's post is a very neat summary of the main issues you face.

Take your time on this decision - whatever you go ahead and purchase now will be what you're stuck with until you win the lotto. So it needs to do what you want it to do - or as close as possible.

Cheers
Dave
The following user(s) said Thank You: manic_dave

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• manic_dave
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
11 years 11 months ago #93783 by manic_dave
Thanks Dave,

I have no intention of making my decision until the end of the summer at least.

Im going to read more and see as many scopes as possible.

your right, this will be the last scope i buy until I win the lotto.

www.skelligstarparty.com
Europe's Darkest Skies
Top 4 Locations in the world to Stargaze by Paste Magazine.

More
11 years 11 months ago #93784 by johnomahony

manic_dave wrote: Thanks for the help guys.

I have a Canon DSLR 1100d. Thats what I want to use.

Michael from TS has recommended the following

Mount :

www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_inf...th-steel-tripod.html

Scope
:

www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_inf...---3-3--focuser.html

along with the following bits and bobs

TS Guide Refractor Scope 80/900mm with adjustable rings
TS Optics 2" Newtonian Telescope Coma Corrector from f/4
ALCCD5 Autoguider and planetary camera - USB 2.0
TS focus motor for 3" Monorail focusers TS & GSO RCs from 10"
TS 1.25" Premium UHC Filter - more Contrast
TS H-Beta Filter 1.25" for visual observation and photography
Skywatcher Adapter from M48 to Canon EOS Bajonet

now that set up is using the 80/900 scope to guide. Is off axis a better plan?

Actually the mount and scope TS recommends would be a good set up. I know a few people with exactly that set up and they get great results-without guiding using the 8" version. You will need a coma corrector so you could go for the 8 inch f4. Put a post on ice in space asking for comments and you should get plenty of responses with this set up. Cheers.

The Lord giveth, the Revenue taketh away. (John 1:16)

www.flickr.com/photos/7703127@N07/

• manic_dave
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
11 years 11 months ago #93786 by manic_dave

www.skelligstarparty.com
Europe's Darkest Skies
Top 4 Locations in the world to Stargaze by Paste Magazine.

More
11 years 11 months ago #93788 by mykc
Hi Dave,

The scopes you linked to are very similar but come from different manufacturers. As far as I know the SkyWatcher is a "Synta", whereas the TS is a "Guan Sheng Optical" (GSO) with some modifications. Optically they are probably very similar. Sky at Night magazine did a feature on 200 mm f/4 reflectors in the December 2011 issue, comparing the SkyWatcher, the original GSO, the TS carbon fibre version and the Vixen offering. The SW, GSO and TS scope got identical scores for optics and the SW was declared the overall winner by 1% on the basis of slightly better build and design. It appears that the TS scope had design and build issues, but the version offered now is different, e.g. it has a better focuser. Bottom line is that there is very little to choose between these three brands and the same will probably apply to the 254 mm scopes.

Bear in mind that accurate collimation is not trivial with these very fast Newts and you will need to add some collimation tools to your shopping list. You should also get a Bahtinov mask which makes precise focusing a breeze. I found the straight-through style of finder difficult to use on a Newt so you might consider getting a red dot finder instead. And don't forget power supplies for your mount, guider, and PC. What you need in that regard will depend access to power at your imaging location.

That brings me to one final point that hasn't really been highlighted in this very interesting thread. Do you have easy access to dark skies? If you do (you lucky sod) the whole range of astroimaging targets is available to you. Consider an apo refractor for the large targets such as nebulae (though you will need a modded DSLR or a dedicated astro camera to tackle most emission nebulae) and/or a scope with a longer focal length if you prefer smaller targets such as galaxies - a 254 mm f/4 or f/5 Newtonian is excellent value in that category. How dark your sky is may have a much bigger impact on how long your exposures need to be than whether the scope is f/4 or f/5.

If you do not have dark skies you will find astroimaging frustrating, and in practise you will be restricted to brighter targets such as clusters. Of course, if you have the time and the transport to easily move your gear to a dark site you are in business again. Just keep the transportability of the kit and the power supply factor in mind.

I hope that these extra considerations will help you make the right choice - you are very wise to take your time and do lots of research. Your budget is large enough to put together a very nice setup capable of meeting a range of imaging and visual requirements - good luck with the planning.

Mike

Skywatcher 120 mm ED on a CG5 mount.
Orion UK 300mm Dobsonian

More
11 years 11 months ago - 11 years 11 months ago #93793 by johnomahony

manic_dave wrote: am i right in thinking these are the same basic scope?

www.firstlightoptics.com/reflectors/skyw...aging-newtonian.html

www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_inf...---3-3--focuser.html

Most people I know are using the GSO scope. The 10" is quite a large beast and won't be as stable on the eq6 but will still work with care. The 8" is great value combined with a Baader coma corrector. I was even thinking of getting one rather than a 4" apo for imaging after seeing the results.

www.mpas.asn.au/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=225

Check out Greg's or Paul Albers photos. They both use the eq6 and GSO 8" f4 unguided. Short exposures but lots of them.

The Lord giveth, the Revenue taketh away. (John 1:16)

www.flickr.com/photos/7703127@N07/
Last edit: 11 years 11 months ago by johnomahony.

Time to create page: 0.118 seconds