K-Tec

New Telescope, budget 2000 euros. some advice please.

More
11 years 11 months ago - 11 years 11 months ago #93806 by lunartic_old

Nagler wow 300 euro plus on an eyepice !

are they really worth it?

Yes. :D

When I had a 12" dob I used Naglers and the stars were sharp to the very edge of the the field, no seagulling, no kidney beaning, just perfect pinpoints of light.

In fast scopes inferior eyepieces will begin to break down as they approach the edge of the field of view and you will find your view restricted to a central portion of the field. The Naglers give an 82 degree field of view and it feels like you're falling through the eyepiece.

One other consideration in buying premium eyepieces is that they hold their value, if you come to sell them in years to come you will get a good price for them.

Nagler wow 300 euro plus on an eyepice

If you go on sites such as Astromart, Astrobuysell, Cloudynights, etc. you can pick them up for much less, I had bought from the States on a number of occasions and if you ask the seller to put a lower value on the package you can avoid import duties and taxes.

P.S. Don't tell Michael Noonan. ;)

Paul

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.

Rich Cook
Last edit: 11 years 11 months ago by lunartic_old.
The following user(s) said Thank You: manic_dave

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• manic_dave
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
11 years 11 months ago #93808 by manic_dave
sounds like a plan to me.

If i was to buy one good eyepiece for a 12" Dob, what would you recomend?

a big view 50 or something smaller like a 16?

www.skelligstarparty.com
Europe's Darkest Skies
Top 4 Locations in the world to Stargaze by Paste Magazine.

More
11 years 11 months ago - 11 years 11 months ago #93809 by Calibos
Is that a 50mm eyepiece? Way too large an exit pupil with a 12" f4.9. You'd effectively be cutting your scope apeture. ie. The light cone would be wider than your eyes iris opened to its widest. (6mm) The longest usable focal length eyepiece would be in the 31mm Range.

I wouldn't totally rule out the 14" yet. You could fit removable handles and wheels to it like this and could even manage steps with it. (Though transport in your car might rule this size out).

www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat...odyprev=#Post5030125

[Edit] The link is opening with the page pre scrolled to my pic funnily enough. Scroll back up to the top of that page to see the wheel arrangement I am talking about. I'll be converting my scope to that wheel arrangement from my current wheelbarrow arrangment. (I'll also be converting my truss to 3 collapsible 3 strut like the flextube you have your eye one but thats another story :D )

Keith D.

16" Meade Lightbridge Truss Dobsonian with Servocat Tracking/GOTO
Ethos 3.7sx,6,8,10,13,17,21mm
Nagler 31mm
Last edit: 11 years 11 months ago by Calibos.

More
11 years 11 months ago #93810 by dmcdona

manic_dave wrote: Nagler wow 300 euro plus on an eyepice !

are they really worth it?

Dave - the Nagler range (eyepieces, Powermates etc) are worth every penny but they are very pricey. I've owned a few in my time... You could probably easily step down the quality ladder a notch or two and still be very happy. But, if you have some spare money after buying the scope, the eyepiece(s) will definately determine how good a view you can get. The Naglers will give you he best possible view, guaranteed.

One other very worthy point to note - if you do go ahead and buy a Nagler and you decide to sell it in the future (change of scope, want a different eyepiece etc.) , you will lose very little if anything on the original price you pay. They are top end pieces of magic and hold their value very well indeed. But beware, once you use it, it is very unlikely you'll ever want to sell it.

But, if your budget it sparse at the end of the scope purchase, don't be afraid to go for a cheaper eyepiece - but still do your research and try get the best quality you can afford.

Cheers
Dave

• manic_dave
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
11 years 11 months ago #93811 by manic_dave
LOL Keith im not sure I would manage a 14" in my house. I have a Celtic Tiger 4 bed semi.

I was going to look at putting it in the shed at the bottom of the garden, but i would have to secure it and build some sort of press to put it in. Not sure grass clippings are the best idea where a Dob is concerned.

In terms of eyepiece, im thinking of a 2" 17mm Nagler, i pretty much just use a 15mm Plossl on my Nexstar 4, apart from the moon when I move to a 3.5mm for detail.

I think the 17mm should give me a great view of almost everything. I was looking at Hercules Globular Cluster NGC6205 last night, it looked like a small blur in the 15mm and the 2x Barlow just darkened it and make it fill the eyepiece. I cant wait to see what a big Dob makes of it.

www.skelligstarparty.com
Europe's Darkest Skies
Top 4 Locations in the world to Stargaze by Paste Magazine.

More
11 years 11 months ago #93812 by lunartic_old
The 17mm Nagler is an exceptional eyepiece, if you buy one you will not regret it. The 13mm Nagler is another great eyepiece that is worth considering.

Paul

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.

Rich Cook

Time to create page: 0.114 seconds