K-Tec

NASA announcement - Wednesday, May 14

More
15 years 11 months ago #68174 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: NASA announcement - Wednesday, May 14

More interesting was the posted comments at the bottom of the article. I can imagine NASA blushing over this one and if they don't, they should.

My sentiments as well, go NASA...

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 11 months ago #68185 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: NASA announcement - Wednesday, May 14
I suppose they want to look busy, maybe they are worried about more funding cuts.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
15 years 11 months ago #68217 by voyager
Replied by voyager on topic Re: NASA announcement - Wednesday, May 14
If you're gonna make a big deal about something it needs to be a lot bigger a deal than this when you finally announce it!

It's cool, but the general public are gonna feel really let down.

Bart.

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

More
15 years 11 months ago #68218 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: NASA announcement - Wednesday, May 14

I suppose they want to look busy, maybe they are worried about more funding cuts.

They are going to get them (cuts that is) if this is the best they can show for their efforts. Cool science, but an anticlimax given the announcement about an announcement...

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

More
15 years 11 months ago #68222 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: NASA announcement - Wednesday, May 14

It's cool, but the general public are gonna feel really let down.

If we're so badly let down as amateurs with some sort of a clue to the wow factor (or not) of this announcement, I'd say Jo/Josephine public will think NASA are a bunch of muppets.

I seriously think this announcement is quite harmful for NASA from a public perception point-of-view - and that ultimately might lead to funding cuts or at least harm their chances of big increases...

$0.02

More
15 years 11 months ago #68237 by JohnMurphy
Replied by JohnMurphy on topic Re: NASA announcement - Wednesday, May 14

They are going to get them (cuts that is) if this is the best they can show for their efforts. Cool science, but an anticlimax given the announcement about an announcement...

I agree - cuts in NASA, and right across US science are inevitable if the US economy (and thereby world economy) is to be turned around. It may have been a last ditch effort (by NASA PR) to bolster it's case against cuts, but its backfired (apalling PR gaff).

To be fair it is a big announcement - science wise. We now know that the last SN in our Galaxy was a lot more recent than previously thought, and it will statistically push out our expectations for the next. Beware statistics, though, nature couldn't care less for statisticians or their trade, the Bell curve is fine in the lab but Nature deals in Black Swans (so we haven't really learned much more than we already knew, though there is one more piece of sky which will be getting a lot more scope time).

Expect Bush's conquest of Mars to fade rapidly into obscurity, and serious cuts right across all NASA's projects in the near future. Manned moon missions (colonies?) will be first to be shelved. The US plebian is more concerned about $250 barrels of oil and what that means to all prices and lifestyle.

Clear Skies,
John Murphy
Irish Astronomical Society
Check out My Photos

Time to create page: 0.115 seconds