K-Tec

Advice required on non MS OS

More
18 years 10 months ago #13256 by voyager
Replied by voyager on topic Re: Advice required on non MS OS
Ubuntu is Debian Based!

Fedora is indeed Redhad based.

If anyone is installing Linux I STRONGLY suggest downloading the very latest version rather than using some old CD you have lying around!

Bart.

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• dmcdona
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
18 years 10 months ago #13257 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: Advice required on non MS OS
Thanks for all the replies folks - but I'm real dunce at this stuff and am struggling to understand what I need. IRAF will only run on the OS's I listed - looks like the link for Redhat 6.2 is the best bet so far (Thanks Steve)

No idea if Mandriva Linux or Fedore Core 3 or 4 will work, but none are on the list so I'd have to assume they won't work.

Ubuntu is based on Debian so you'll also need to check if IRAF has a Debian package available. I'd be surprised if there isn't one.

As far as I can see, there's no mention of a 'Debian package' on the IRAF website so again, I'd have to assume that it won't work.

I see that Sun Solaris is free - knowing that Sun are pretty good at software, would that be a good choice?

Still confused - no wonder Windows is so popular.... :wink:

Cheers

Dave McD

More
18 years 10 months ago #13258 by Macros42
Replied by Macros42 on topic Re: Advice required on non MS OS

If anyone is installing Linux I STRONGLY suggest downloading the very latest version rather than using some old CD you have lying around!

Bart.

But the issue is that the software specifically mentions compatible versions. There is a chance that it won't run in the later versions. Particularly Fedora - there are substantial differences between RH9 and Fedora Core. Hence my offer of an old pc to test them out on with the software. If Fedora works, great - if not there is a fallback to RH7.

My copies of Mandrake and Ubuntu are the latest versions.

Steve
--
"Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen" -- Albert Einstein

• dmcdona
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
18 years 10 months ago #13259 by dmcdona
Folks - just to remind you that I want to run a package called IRAF. Here is what IRAF currently runs on (PC systems):

PCIX FreeBSD 3.3
PCIX Slackware Linux 4.0
PCIX RedHat Linux 5.x
PCIX RedHat Linux 6.x
PCIX SuSE Linux 6.x
PCIX Solaris 7 for Intel

If whatever you are suggesting is not on the list, I'd rather steer clear - unless you know something I don't...

Here's the link for IRAF if this will help you to help me...

iraf.noao.edu/

Cheers

Dave McD

More
18 years 10 months ago #13260 by Macros42
Replied by Macros42 on topic Re: Advice required on non MS OS

Folks - just to remind you that I want to run a package called IRAF. Here is what IRAF currently runs on (PC systems):

PCIX FreeBSD 3.3
PCIX Slackware Linux 4.0
PCIX RedHat Linux 5.x
PCIX RedHat Linux 6.x
PCIX SuSE Linux 6.x
PCIX Solaris 7 for Intel

If whatever you are suggesting is not on the list, I'd rather steer clear - unless you know something I don't...

They do also say

Minor upgrades to the OS do not normally affect the operation of IRAF, but
major changes to the OS may. If in doubt, check with the IRAF group
(iraf@noao.edu) before upgrading.

I'd send them a mail and see if Fedora is supported. It's a major upgrade from 6.2 but may work and if it does it would be the best option. RH6.2 is very old now. At worst I'd expect it to work in RH9.

Steve
--
"Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen" -- Albert Einstein

• dmcdona
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
18 years 10 months ago #13261 by dmcdona
Sorry Steve - this is where suffer severely from a technical background re non-MS OS's - is Fedora on the list (but in the guise of say Redhat)?

Cheers

Dave McD

Time to create page: 0.114 seconds