K-Tec

Advice required on non MS OS

More
18 years 10 months ago #13295 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: Advice required on non MS OS

I've used GRub on two disk machines and it had no trouble at all booting Windows on the main hard disk and linux on the secondary disk. In fact I've also done it the other way round. A descent installer will put grub on the mbr of the primary and then it can boot anything from anywhere! (except Win98 & Win ME which insist on being on the primary).

Windows 2000 also insists on being on the primary for me. You can however mess with Grub to boot windows and convince windows that it really is on the primary, and hence get 98 and 2000 to boot. I'll check by grub configs for the details.

Cheers,
~Al

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 10 months ago #13299 by voyager
Replied by voyager on topic Re: Advice required on non MS OS

I've used GRub on two disk machines and it had no trouble at all booting Windows on the main hard disk and linux on the secondary disk. In fact I've also done it the other way round. A descent installer will put grub on the mbr of the primary and then it can boot anything from anywhere! (except Win98 & Win ME which insist on being on the primary).

Windows 2000 also insists on being on the primary for me. You can however mess with Grub to boot windows and convince windows that it really is on the primary, and hence get 98 and 2000 to boot. I'll check by grub configs for the details.

Cheers,
~Al

That's odd,

I have Win2K running on a second disk on my parents machine and I didn't have to do anything funny to get it to work.

BB

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

More
18 years 10 months ago #13300 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: Advice required on non MS OS

I have Win2K running on a second disk on my parents machine and I didn't have to do anything funny to get it to work.

Perhaps its just windows taking a personal dislike to me again then!

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

Time to create page: 0.102 seconds