K-Tec

NightCal Astronomical Calendar Software

More
18 years 6 months ago #16494 by voyager
Replied by voyager on topic Re: NightCal Astronomical Calendar Software

Anyway, it's aimed at the amateur observer, not the science community. If you had read the website carefully, you would have realised this. We just thought it would be a nice idea to let others share our work.

The users of software are never the people you think!

Not releasing this on other plaforms is understandable, that takes a significant amount of time and effort, therefore would you be interested in releasing the code under some form of open source license to allow others to contribute? I'm not volunteering by the way!

Best Wishes,
~Al

But I am!

I'll put my money where my mouth is and say that if you release the code I'll create a Java Version so that everyone can use it.

Bart B.

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• NightCal
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
18 years 6 months ago #16497 by NightCal
Replied by NightCal on topic Re: NightCal Astronomical Calendar Software
Deleted by poster.

Michael Morris
8" LX200 Classic
Orion 80ED
ETX 90EC (Grab 'n' Go scope)
Roll-off roof observatory almiraobservatory.awardspace.com/index.html
Co-author of NightCal Astronomical Calendar Software
www.nightcal.co.uk

More
18 years 6 months ago #16500 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: NightCal Astronomical Calendar Software

We have already discussed making it open source and Bob doesn't want to even consider this until the first full release is out (version 1.0) and he's pretty immoveable on that.

Thats a pitty. From my experience with open source projects its a much better idea to open the code early on. I hope you'll consider open sourcing it later. I would be intersted in using the data on a web page, rather than the standard moon phase from the USNO, which does not show rise and set times.

I'm afraid you'll just have to wait.

Or write your own. If there arn't public java classes for calculating rise/set times of a given object from a given location there should be...

Cheers,
~Al

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

More
18 years 6 months ago #16503 by ctr
OK I'm confused.

Someone writes a piece of software for free and posts it on another site. I ask them to post it here as people here might like to try it. And it is jumped on because it uses propriety software.

Are we to spurn all propriety based software?

What about all those Photo Manipulation software? No just Gimp here please?

Come on guys give people a break while comments were asked for I think you have been harsh in your criticism.

Each of us is here on earth for a reason, and each of us has a special mission to carry out - Maria Shriver

More
18 years 6 months ago #16507 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: NightCal Astronomical Calendar Software

OK I'm confused.
Someone writes a piece of software for free and posts it on another site. I ask them to post it here as people here might like to try it. And it is jumped on because it uses propriety software.
Are we to spurn all propriety based software?
What about all those Photo Manipulation software? No just Gimp here please?
Come on guys give people a break while comments were asked for I think you have been harsh in your criticism.

...everything he said! :!:

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
18 years 6 months ago #16509 by voyager
Replied by voyager on topic Re: NightCal Astronomical Calendar Software
Appologies if it seems like jumping down people's throats but that was not my intention. IMO it is not really that un-reasonable to suggest that people develop in such a way that the software they put their blood sweat and tears into is not tied to one OS.

This seems like a cool piece of software but one many people, including myself, cannot use because it is written for Windows users only when it could have been written for everyone.

Bart.

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

Time to create page: 0.117 seconds