K-Tec

Windows Vista SP1

More
16 years 1 month ago #65822 by Petermark
Replied by Petermark on topic Re: Windows Vista SP1

"Microshite"

Poor Bill Gates would be very offended to read that.

Mark.
Anybody who says that Earthshine is reflected Sunshine is talking Moonshine.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 1 month ago #65825 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Windows Vista SP1
yea, lets stay civil atleast..

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
16 years 1 month ago #65829 by TrevorDurity
Replied by TrevorDurity on topic Re: Windows Vista SP1
It's interesting to note that MS have had so much trouble with this that they are offering downgrade rights to anyone who purchases a machine with Vista Business or Ultimate and wants to use XP Pro instead. The activation is just done by phone.

For some reason they only let you downgrade Vista Business & Vista Ultimate - not either of the home editions!

Next machine I get I'm going to 'upgrade' from Vista to XP :wink:

More
16 years 1 month ago #65834 by voyager
Replied by voyager on topic Re: Windows Vista SP1

I use XP and i have it set NOT to automatically update cuz more often then not any updates mess it up.

XP is the most stable OS Microshite have ever had.

I have only ever used Microshite OS's but i have never updated them or allowed automatic fixes cuz they cause more problems then they solve.

Jeebus! You do security updates right? If not your machine is probably riddled with key loggers and root-kits and all sorts of nasties.

You simply MUST update ANY OS. That goes for them ALL. Linux, Unix, Windows, Mac, the lot.

TBH, the reason we have so much spam is because there are incosiderate people not updating their computers. To be blunt, if you're on the net with an un-patched machine you're part of the problem.

Bart.

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

• paulevans
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
15 years 10 months ago #69856 by paulevans
Replied by paulevans on topic Re: Windows Vista SP1
Further to this I have carried out an experiment that looks like it may become permanent - I have installed Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy Heron) as a dual-boot on my laptop.

For all the standard web/office stuff it does everything Vista does only faster. It seems to be not quite so good at multimedia stuff but that's just a question of finding the right applications.

KStars is a great planetarium as is Stellarium and good to see Google Picasa works just as well on Linux as on Windows - only faster of course!

I've dabbled in Linux distros before of course, but this is the first one that has been really useful straight out of the box - even the wireless worked with not much more than a prod.

Worth a look if you're a bit cheesed off with Micorsoft's latest.

Time to create page: 0.111 seconds