K-Tec

Windows Vista SP1

More
16 years 1 month ago #65722 by stepryan
Replied by stepryan on topic Re: Windows Vista SP1

What was wrong with XP in the first place?

Everybody had it already, so MS wasn't making nearly enough money.

Is it still possible to get a new computer with XP installed on it? My laptop is kinda old and is showing signs of going kaput soon. I get the impression that all the PC vendors are pushing Vista, and I really don't want it!

if you buy before from the big vendor such as dell etc you have up until 30th of june then they stop selling it as microsoft will stop supplying it to them. for the small white box vendors as microsoft calls them it is up until jan 31st i think next year.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 1 month ago #65734 by voyager
Replied by voyager on topic Re: Windows Vista SP1

What was wrong with XP in the first place? that prompted this stupid carp.

Fundamental security short-comings that could only be fixed with a new OS. It's these very important and very much needed security enhancements that are causing such trouble with drivers. In older versions of Windows drivers could do just about anything, now they are subject to security restrictions and they have to be digitally signed.

However, the need for a ground-up security over-haul does not explain the insane level of bloat of Vista. The system requirements for it are insane.

Bart.

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

More
16 years 1 month ago #65735 by voyager
Replied by voyager on topic Re: Windows Vista SP1

What was wrong with XP in the first place?

Everybody had it already, so MS wasn't making nearly enough money.

Is it still possible to get a new computer with XP installed on it? My laptop is kinda old and is showing signs of going kaput soon. I get the impression that all the PC vendors are pushing Vista, and I really don't want it!

My advice would be to buy a full copy of XP NOW, before you can't get them anymore. However, if you want to stay in the Windows eco-system you will have no choice but to go Vista at some stage. Once support is ended for XP you won't be able to safely use XP on any networked computer.

Bart.

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

More
16 years 1 month ago #65772 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Windows Vista SP1
I got another laptop recently that had Vista Home, and nearly killed it, even with 1GB of RAM. After removing that and installing XP Pro, it's super duper now. Reluctantly, I add, XP Pro has to be Windoze best OS ever. Vista has been disappointing.

:x

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
16 years 1 month ago #65782 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Windows Vista SP1
Looks like upgrading from XP to vista is like changing your 2 litre turbo diesel Mondeo for a 1 litre Hummer, it'll move but do so at a slow pace. :lol:

I also agree that XP pro is by far MS's best OS.

V3.xx, hard to believe now it was a program that ran in DOS !! :shock:
W95, it was only a matter of time before it froze and shutting down was always an adventure.
W98, well, what can I say, I got really good at quickly reading the blue screen of death before the PC auto rebooted. :lol:
W2k, was actually stable, but god help you if you needed to install anything that needed a driver at the time, not so bad these days.
W-Me, well, MS marketing gone mad, what was the point ??
XP, after years of thumping and hitting my PC with a hurly, it works pretty well these days on this OS! Am I going to update from something that actually works, not likely.!!

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
16 years 1 month ago #65806 by pj30something
Replied by pj30something on topic Re: Windows Vista SP1
I use XP and i have it set NOT to automatically update cuz more often then not any updates mess it up.

XP is the most stable OS Microshite have ever had.

I have only ever used Microshite OS's but i have never updated them or allowed automatic fixes cuz they cause more problems then they solve.

Paul C
My next scope is going to be a Vixen VMC200L Catadioptric OTA

Time to create page: 0.119 seconds