K-Tec

Gmail Invites - Anyone want one?

More
19 years 2 months ago #8773 by voyager
Replied by voyager on topic Re: Gmail Invites - Anyone want one?

Is it posible ot pop mail off GMail?

Bart.

It is now. Wasnt originally. POP and mail forwarding are now supported.

Cheers,
~Al

Cool! In that case can I get an invite please!?

BB

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 2 months ago #8775 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re: Gmail Invites - Anyone want one?
Question:
What's the advantage of microsoft outlook (or similar) for e-mail over internet e-mail (such as yahoo/hotmail etc)?
To read your e-mails you'll need to connect up to the net anyway, won't you?

• jhonan
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
19 years 2 months ago #8776 by jhonan
Replied by jhonan on topic Re: Gmail Invites - Anyone want one?
Advantages of outlook over webmail (that I can think of);

- More flexible email composition options (although gmail is pretty good)
- Good at managing contacts etc.
- Calendar, and other functions built-in (scheduler etc)
- Security - Once the email is downloaded to your hard disk, then it's generally deleted from the mail server
- Plug-ins, various outlook extensions
- Newsgroup reader
- No ads
- You can read and compose emails off-line

Advantages of webmail over outlook;

- You can check your email from anywhere. If you're away from home you just have to find an internet cafe and log on.
- If you keep email archived, then web-based mail is easier than making backups to CD. (Although if it's really important it's better to keep a backup yourself just in case!)

The ability to check mail from anywhere is the main reason I've been using gmail more and more. I find I've hardly been using outlook at all over the past few months.

If you'd like a nice alternative to outlook, then take a look at Thunderbird (from the same people that make firefox). I had switched from outlook to thunderbird, before gmail came along.

Everyone in Ireland buys Meade, and they all buy them from Lidl.

More
19 years 2 months ago #8777 by voyager
Replied by voyager on topic Re: Gmail Invites - Anyone want one?

Question:
What's the advantage of microsoft outlook (or similar) for e-mail over internet e-mail (such as yahoo/hotmail etc)?
To read your e-mails you'll need to connect up to the net anyway, won't you?

You only need to connect to the net to send a nd recieve, other than that you can read through your mail at your leasure and compose your reply off line.

First thing I would say is DON'T USE OUTLOOK, it's literally too bloody dangerous because of the security problems with it (imagine, an insecure MS program who would have thought :roll: ). Use an alternative, preferably Thunderbird from Mozilla, IMO the best email client about. I used to use it on Windows, then I moved it and all my emails addresses etc to Linux with no problems at all and at work I did the same but went from Windows to Mac and again no problems at all. No such flexibility with Outlook!

Anyhow, I download my mail because it allows me to keep an archive of all my email on my PC so I can see it any time without having to be online and I can store an effectively unlimmited amount of emails. That and it is much easier to compose emails with a nice client than it is in a text box on a web page! I just find it much handier than having my email sitting on some far flung web server I have no direct control over.

Bart.

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

More
19 years 2 months ago #8779 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re: Gmail Invites - Anyone want one?
Interesting. Some valid points raised.
Thanks.

More
19 years 2 months ago #8784 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: Gmail Invites - Anyone want one?

Anyhow, I download my mail because it allows me to keep an archive of all my email on my PC so I can see it any time without having to be online and I can store an effectively unlimmited amount of emails.

The Network is the Computer ;-)

The main reasons I use gmail are:
. Useable from anywhere (work, home and cafes that only ever seem to offer outlook as a client). If I didnt have broadband and the laptop online permanently then I probably wouldnt use it as much.
. Searchable. Its very easy to search through emails.
. its a lot better than any other webmail client out there.

Thunderbird is the best for connecting to regular mail servers, though its not without flaws, needing to hack things to get it to check for new mail in all IMAP folders being an annoying one. A small inconvienience compared to outlook which seems to want to execute every attachment and encoced mail it recieves!

Cool! In that case can I get an invite please!?

It's in the post!

Cheers,
~Al

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

Time to create page: 0.111 seconds