K-Tec

Computer power problem

More
19 years 2 months ago #9345 by ctr
Replied by ctr on topic Re: Computer power problem
Bill, Simple question is the fan on the power supply running?

If not then my guess is the Power Supply Unit

Each of us is here on earth for a reason, and each of us has a special mission to carry out - Maria Shriver

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Bill_H
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
19 years 2 months ago #9346 by Bill_H
Replied by Bill_H on topic Re: Computer power problem
I'm afraid I don't get a chance to try anything, sounds like power to me. I plug the power lead into the mains, switch the mains on and as quick as a tight Scotsman grabbing a penny, the power light at the back of the PC flashes, and then nothing, I don't even get time to take my finger of the mains switch. I have tried holding in the start-up button on the PC as I switch on the mains, but just the same thing, an extremely fast flash on and off of the power light and nothing else.
Bill.

Astronomers do it with the lights off.

More
19 years 2 months ago #9347 by ctr
Notwithstanding that when the power light goes off is the fan on the power supply (only the power supply) spinning

Each of us is here on earth for a reason, and each of us has a special mission to carry out - Maria Shriver

• Bill_H
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
19 years 2 months ago #9348 by Bill_H
Replied by Bill_H on topic Re: Computer power problem

Notwithstanding that when the power light goes off is the fan on the power supply (only the power supply) spinning

No. But I was assuming that is because the power is off again so fast that it doesn't get a chance to start. It's quite litterally off quicker than it's on.
Bill H.

Astronomers do it with the lights off.

More
19 years 2 months ago #9349 by ctr
OK now if your up to it disconnect all leads from PSU (power supply unit) to various componants in PC and do that test again. Remember to plug out the PC when fiddling inside. :)

If the fan still won't spin then my guess is the PSU, lucky as it the cheapest thing IMHO.

If it is spinning then Plug out PC and plug in 1 item and try again.....Keep doing this until fan stops and the last this plugged in is the culprit.

It's not fail safe but a good diagnostic procedure to try.

Good Luck :lol:

More
19 years 2 months ago #9350 by DenisM
Replied by DenisM on topic Re: Computer power problem

Heres an idea,
If you bring it along to cosmos, maybe we can plug it in somewhere and spend 5 mins trying to get it working, maybe friday evening ???

I'd go with Dave's suggestion. The laying on of hands is always a better option :)

DenisM

Time to create page: 0.106 seconds