K-Tec

Convert Cannon 300D into 10D!

More
19 years 1 week ago #11332 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Convert Cannon 300D into 10D!
Seanie,
What this really allows you are 2 fold..

1, iso 3200
2, a time delay between the reflex mirror flip and the shutter opening, this is the main reason for the up[grade! less chance of vibraion affecting the image.

There are other photographic bit'n-pieces in there, but they are of no interest to me.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 1 week ago #11334 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Convert Cannon 300D into 10D!

Dave Lillis wrote: 1, iso 3200
2, a time delay between the reflex mirror flip and the shutter opening, this is the main reason for the up[grade! less chance of vibraion affecting the image.
quote]

2 very good reasons! Tell me, in principle (in digital cameras), could a ISO3200 setting almost allow for a half-exposure-time-than-would-be-used with the ISO1600 setting? Know what I mean? Say, a 10 second ISO3200 image would almost give the same quality as a 20 second ISO1600???

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
19 years 1 week ago #11337 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Convert Cannon 300D into 10D!
Theoreticaly yes.
The only problem I see here is that you might get more electrical noise in the image as the electronics will run a little hotter at the higher iso speed. I little bit of experimentation at the telescope will reveal all.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
19 years 1 week ago #11339 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re: Convert Cannon 300D into 10D!
Seanie,

If the camera is attached to a very flimsy scope/mount, the mirror lock might come in useful. Otherwise, not really

As for ISO 3200, I've tried it for wide angle shots and I found it a waste of time. Waaay too much noise. I ehven't tried it onto my LX90 yet though.

More
19 years 1 week ago #11350 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Convert Cannon 300D into 10D!

As for ISO 3200, I've tried it for wide angle shots and I found it a waste of time. Waaay too much noise. I ehven't tried it onto my LX90 yet though.

Know what you mean. When Ive done film astrophotography on ISO1600, the outcomes are always grainy for some reason. Is there such a things as ISO1600 FILM??

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
19 years 1 week ago #11352 by John OBrien
Replied by John OBrien on topic Re: Convert Cannon 300D into 10D!
You can get film rated up to ISO 6400 for black and white and up to ISO 1600 for colour. The light sensitive grains are physically bigger on progressively higher ISO's. High ISO graininess can look quite nice in black and white, hence the ISO 6400 but for colour it starts getting yucky after ISO 800 or so.

ISO speeds on digital sensors relate to the amount of amplification gain applied at the electronics level.

Canon use hardware gain on speeds up to 1600 and software gain for 3200. For 3200 the software just takes an image at 1600 at twice the shutter speed and then shifts that data for the equivalent of 3200.

"We are the music makers ... and we are the dreamers of dreams." - W.W.

Time to create page: 0.116 seconds