K-Tec

First Tracked Canon 300D Shot

More
19 years 3 weeks ago #11123 by ayiomamitis
Replied by ayiomamitis on topic Re: First Tracked Canon 300D Shot
Dave/Al,

I have the Sigma 24-70 mm aspherical zoom which is a rather good lens. However, I have the aforementioned problems regarding suitability with my EOS 3 (35 mm film) and EOS 300d (digital).

I have checked with the local Sigma rep in Greece and they are all spaced out. Upon checking with the newsgroups, I discovered that Sigma will replace the electronics (ie. the chip) for free provided such a chip is available. As you can guess, MANY such items have been returned for the upgrade and available replacement chips are lacking.

I have the EOS 28-105 USM II lens which I really like and I picked up the Sigma 24-70 mm so as to have that extra bit of widefield. I did some testing a few months ago prior to going out for an all-nighter for star trail photography and only to confirm that the lens works intermittently with my EOS 3. As for the EOS 300d, it never works with it no matter what I try and do (manual in lieu of autofocus, stopping down etc!

Anthony.

Anthony Ayiomamitis
Athens, Greece
www.perseus.gr

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Keith g
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
19 years 3 weeks ago #11126 by Keith g
Replied by Keith g on topic Re:
Anthony, I'm very grateful for your advice regarding sigma lenses :shock:
I did'nt know that some of these lenses would not potentially work with the 300D, Thanks for the advice, i'll make sure to bring the camera along if i'm buying alens in future !

Clear Skies,
Keith..

More
19 years 3 weeks ago #11131 by ayiomamitis
Replied by ayiomamitis on topic Re: First Tracked Canon 300D Shot
Hi Keith,

My pleasure! Best of luck in getting a lens that is fully functional and of immediate use.

Anthony.

Anthony Ayiomamitis
Athens, Greece
www.perseus.gr

More
19 years 3 weeks ago #11132 by John OBrien
Replied by John OBrien on topic Re: First Tracked Canon 300D Shot
Keith, I was looking for a good 24-70 myself and the Canon was around £900 - too rich for me even though I was looking to spend about £1000 on pro level lenses. Here's what I did, I got the 17-40mm F4 L and the 70-200 F4 L for around £430 each, this left me uncovered in the middle 40-70mm and the 50mm prime for £50 does that, to "zoom" I walk forward or back as ya don't need to move much at 50mm to cover a fair range. If this seems a lot to spend on lenses, do consider that they will be with you for a long time and will probably see life on many camera bodys over the years. They also hold their monetary value over time where the value of a DSLR is cut in half with each passing year.

For RAW work what software are you using to convert your files? If you use Photoshop to load a RAW photo it has an option to set white balance in the loading window before it goes into the main editing area.

"We are the music makers ... and we are the dreamers of dreams." - W.W.

• Keith g
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
19 years 2 weeks ago #11146 by Keith g
Replied by Keith g on topic Re:
Anthony, Thanks! :D

John, those are two damn good lenses you have there! Here's a link I kept from the digital_astro group showing the capability of the 24-70 L lens. It's a shot of the summer milkyway taken at dawn by Ginger Mayfield with a 10D, I think you'll agree it quality is great 8)
gallery.gmayfield.com/deepsky/milkyway22005a

I hear the 17-40mm F4 L Lens is very good, and i have to say i'm looking for this next, it will be worth the money :) I'd like also to get that 70-200mm F4 L you keep mentioning, one thing i'm short on right now is a bit of reach :(

For RAW work, i use the standard canon fileviewer software that came with the 300D to convert RAW images, Thanks for that tip with photoshop, I did'nt know you could do that :shock: I'll try that tonight!

Keith..

More
19 years 2 weeks ago #11154 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re: First Tracked Canon 300D Shot
For converting RAW I recently started using a program called Digital Photo Professional. Apparently, it's supposed to be much better than the standard Canon software and even a touch better than Photoshop. Although, this is of course based a someone else's opinion - not my own. I've only used it a couple of times myself so can't really comment.

Time to create page: 0.102 seconds