K-Tec

Webcam and the planets

More
19 years 1 week ago #11400 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: Webcam and the planets

Now here's a picture that surprised me. The top image is taken by a modified webcam :shock: Not sure of the mods but its pretty spectacular. I'm sure the mods will be somewhere on this guy's site

www.pmdo.com/wsc3.htm

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• DenisM
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
19 years 1 week ago #11425 by DenisM
Replied by DenisM on topic Re: Webcam and the planets

But I'm not sure if the webcam you have would be sensitive enough to take anything dimmer.

You're right there - Got the moon again last evening/night , but no image at all with jupiter , even tho' the skylux would show it quite bright and it's moons in it's eyepiece. Oh well , back to the drawing board.

I realise the mods on CCD cams is to give long exposure times - the CCD also operates a lower light levels .
CMOS stands for See Moon Only Son :D :wink:

Another issue I've got is the moon is so BIG , with the webcam on the scope , i cannot get a full image, only segments :(

It seems to move so quickly too.

I did get a video sequence and am looking at Registrax :lol:

• DaveGrennan
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
More
19 years 1 week ago #11426 by DaveGrennan
Replied by DaveGrennan on topic Re: Webcam and the planets

You're right there - Got the moon again last evening/night , but no image at all with jupiter , even tho' the skylux would show it quite bright and it's moons in it's eyepiece. Oh well , back to the drawing board.

I dont think the problem there is that the webcam is not sensitive enough to record Jupiter. The problem almost certainly is that even though Jupiter is centered in the scope it may not be centered on the chip. To be honest I find this the greatest challenge. I suggest you poke around with the scope a bit until you see jupiter on the screen. I have no doubt that the camera will record it if you get the image onto the chip.

Remember the chip is very small indeed. You need careful positioning to get it centered.

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

• DenisM
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
19 years 1 week ago #11427 by DenisM
Replied by DenisM on topic Re: Webcam and the planets
Thank Dave. I realise you are right about that - the fact that the moon is so much bigger on my PC screen than in a eye piece must mean that only a small portion of the full image captured by the scope is actually being captured by the chip - now how to centre that part of the image that has Jupiter showing, on the sensor is surely the problem.

I'll try experimenting a bit more at the weekend....

Denis.

More
19 years 1 week ago #11428 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Webcam and the planets
What you need Dave is a flip mirror,
It has 2 holders for eyepieces, but you the first with a webcam and the second with an eyepiece.

Center the image using the eyepiece, flip the mirror dial and hey presto, the image is automatically centered in the webcam. This saves me a massive amount of grief and time :P

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

• DaveGrennan
More
19 years 1 week ago #11429 by DaveGrennan
Replied by DaveGrennan on topic Re: Webcam and the planets

What you need Dave is a flip mirror,
It has 2 holders for eyepieces, but you the first with a webcam and the second with an eyepiece.

Yep agreed. What I'm thinking of is getting an off axis guider for deep sky stuff. This can serve the dual role of getting objects onto the webcam too.

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

Time to create page: 0.115 seconds