• dmcdona
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
19 years 2 weeks ago #11487 by dmcdona
M51 - at last was created by dmcdona
At last - I got something that just about resembles M51. Details as follows:

Telescope: Skylux 70 (yes, its true - cracking little performer)
Mount: AP1200GTO
Imager: DSI
Optics: No filters, reducers or Barlows

I tried processing this image as best I could. Pixellation was very evident. Whether that's the DSI or my OTA, not sure. Tracking was super.

If you wait another 20 minutes, you'll get another Messier....

Cheers

Dave McD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 2 weeks ago #11503 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: M51 - at last
I am amazed that you were able to get M51 with the Skylux Dave! Well done! I've tried to look for (albeit without an AP1200 mount! with my own Skylux, but no luck yet. I would have guessed that I may not have been able to see it at all considering the size of the instrument!

By the way, you didn't mention as to how many frames you took for this picture.

:)

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

• dmcdona
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
19 years 2 weeks ago #11507 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: M51 - at last
Cheers Seanie - it is by no means a pretty picture. It hardly resembles M51 - but it is - I assure you! And I know for a fact that other DSI users have taken very good images of M51 - dust lanes and all. But they were using much larger aperture scopes or APO's.

My key goal was just to image M51 - and the only way of doing that with the Skylux was to have a very accurate mount. For sure, there is no way you would see M51 in the Skylux. I haven't even seen it in my 8" SCT.

In fact, the C8 would actually cause problems with image scale - M51 wouldn't fit onto the DSI chip without some kind of extreme focal reduction.

The Skylux came up trumps, and I'm delighted. But the success is more due to the mount...

Anyhow, sorry I forgot to post the number of images - it was 80 in total at an exposure duration of 1 second each.

Cheers

Dave McD

More
19 years 2 weeks ago #11515 by lionsden
Replied by lionsden on topic Re: M51 - at last
I'd like to see a picture of the Skylux on that mount! :shock:

Leo @ Lionsden
Perhap because light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

More
19 years 2 weeks ago #11522 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: M51 - at last

My key goal was just to image M51 - and the only way of doing that with the Skylux was to have a very accurate mount. For sure, there is no way you would see M51 in the Skylux. I haven't even seen it in my 8" SCT.

So, if it wasn't for the AP1200 "Kylie", and the DSI, you wouldn't really spot the Whirlpool in the Skylux by naked eye at all then??

:cry:

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
19 years 2 weeks ago #11524 by ftodonoghue
Replied by ftodonoghue on topic Re: M51 - at last

So, if it wasn't for the AP1200 "Kylie", and the DSI, you wouldn't really spot the Whirlpool in the Skylux by naked eye at all then??

According to the binocular hand book..You should be able to make out M51 in binoculars, although not its shape...theoretically this should be easy for skylux under dark sky then...or is it...must give it a go..

Cheers
Trevor

Time to create page: 0.105 seconds