K-Tec

M51 - at last

More
19 years 2 weeks ago #11525 by ftodonoghue
Replied by ftodonoghue on topic Re: M51 - at last

So, if it wasn't for the AP1200 "Kylie", and the DSI, you wouldn't really spot the Whirlpool in the Skylux by naked eye at all then??

According to the binocular hand book..You should be able to make out M51 in binoculars, although not its shape...theoretically this should be easy for skylux under dark sky then...or is it...must give it a go..

Cheers
Trevor

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• dmcdona
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
19 years 2 weeks ago #11526 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: M51 - at last
Seanie - I didn't see M51 visually through the Skylux. I think the critical factor was (is) the limiting magnitude in the skies over Celbridge - not the ability of the Skylux. I'm sure if I used it in mag 6+ skies, it could well be visible using the Skylux.

Until someone decrees a light curfew in celbridge, I think the only way I'll see M51 (and other deep sky objects) is by imaging... :cry:

I'd be interested to know what other folks can see in the Skylux from their part of the world.

That said, I am very pleasantly surprised with its performance for imaging. I think it could well find an eventual use as a guide scope. It would then look more at home on the AP1200.

As soon as the weather clears and I can setup again, I'll take a pic of the Skylux on the AP1200 - but only if you don't tell anyone :D

Cheers

Dave McD

More
19 years 2 weeks ago #11528 by Bill_H
Replied by Bill_H on topic Re: M51 - at last

So, if it wasn't for the AP1200 "Kylie", and the DSI, you wouldn't really spot the Whirlpool in the Skylux by naked eye at all then??

:cry:

:shock: please don't mention "naked" in front of Kylie :lol:
Bill H.

Astronomers do it with the lights off.

• dmcdona
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
19 years 2 weeks ago #11529 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: M51 - at last
:lol: :lol: :lol:

More
19 years 2 weeks ago #11530 by mjs
Replied by mjs on topic Re: M51 - at last
I have seen M51 in a good pair of 7x35s! But only just, by using averted vision, a dark site, at about this time of the year, lying on a garden bench and looking straight up. It is fairly easy in 7x50s. I haven't tried it in my Skylux, I tend to use the Dobsonian for that.

PS I did image the whirlpool through the Dob. (I had it on a tracking platform. The platform was never intended for asttrophotography but i will try anything once!)

The image is at www.kerryastronomyclub.com/gallery.htm#deep

Michael Scully

More
19 years 2 weeks ago #11532 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re: M51 - at last
Great images Michael ! I'm impressed with the tracking of your mount. You obviously did a great job of it.

Time to create page: 0.100 seconds