Planets

More
18 years 10 months ago #13822 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Planets

Hi Conor

It's Chris. :)

I got caught with that not long ago! :lol:

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• dmcdona
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
18 years 10 months ago #13825 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: Planets
Sorry Chris..... :oops:

Yes, I'm sure of the dates/times - definately 12/07 centered on 01:00 UT....

As I said, SNP didn't make sense of it. I had another go through Aladin to get the starfield but I'm stumped... But I'm sure of the dates/times :D

Cheers

Dave

More
18 years 10 months ago #13826 by cobyrne
Replied by cobyrne on topic Re: Planets

As I said, SNP didn't make sense of it. I had another go through Aladin to get the starfield but I'm stumped... But I'm sure of the dates/times

It just doesn't work! There are 5 bright moons of Uranus, but you seem to have at least 7 objects there, and Uranus doesn't seem to have been near bright starts recently, so I'm wondering if you accidentally included shots from two different observing runs.

I think I can make out moons that are, indeed, consistent with early a.m. 12th July, but the primary pattern I'm seeing is consistent with early a.m. 11th July! :?:

• dmcdona
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
18 years 10 months ago #13829 by dmcdona
Chris - I'm stumped.

The composite image is made of contemporary images taken between the times I mentioned above....

I've had another lash at processing - this one may be a bit better for you...

More
18 years 10 months ago #13859 by cobyrne
Replied by cobyrne on topic Re: Planets
OK - I downloaded a DSS image of the area, and I think I know what the problem is.

Everything except the two closest dots to Uranus is a field star! Every other dot is recorded on the DSS image! You recorded two, possibly three, moons, and you have quite a good limiting magnitude.

The closest dot to Uranus is Umbriel, Titania, or both (they were fairly close to each other). The other dot is Oberon.

• dmcdona
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
18 years 10 months ago #13861 by dmcdona
Cheers Chris - the star fields I was using were pretty cluttered so getting a match was just driving me nuts. Certainly the top three points are stars - that's as far as I got before I was ready to tear my hair out...

I think the brightness of Uranus has swamped Ariel and Miranda which (at the time) were either side of the planet and close in.

I might try this shot again without the reducer and even lash on the 2.5 Powermate to zoom in.

Thanks for the ID though - appreciate it.

Dave McD

Time to create page: 0.103 seconds