• dmcdona
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
18 years 10 months ago #13761 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: Planets
Cheers lads.

Bill - as I said before, it *may* be a teapot, but it could equally be any other culinary item. So eyes open for spatulas, carving knives, microwave ovens or indeed, any other white goods... :D

Michael - I'll have another go at Pluto tonight to see how much it has moved (weather permitting) - should be about 1 arcmin.

Bart - funny you should say that, I'm not sure I've seen many, if any, in the mags before. Loads of jupiter, saturn, a few of mars, venus and mercury etc but I dont't think I've seen any of these three...

Cheers

Dave McD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• DaveGrennan
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
More
18 years 10 months ago #13763 by DaveGrennan
Replied by DaveGrennan on topic Re: Planets
Dave I had a bit of fun trying to establish the time the photo was taken by comparing your photo (pluto) with various charts. From that I deduce around 23H UT last evening (11 Jul). Am I right? From what I can see Pluto will have moved 1" 22' to the right if you photograph it tonight, you could do a lovely blinked animation.

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

• dmcdona
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
18 years 10 months ago #13765 by dmcdona
Bang on the money Dave! :D 11:38 UT

I'll shoot again tonight and we'll see what we come up with. Any ideas as to where I can get me hands on an animation utility so I can post it up here?

Cheers

Dave McD

• DaveGrennan
More
18 years 10 months ago #13766 by DaveGrennan
Dave I use animation shop which comes as part of Paint Shop Pro. Does a great job. Do you have PSP?

If not just mail me the two images and i'll mail u back an animated gif.

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

• dmcdona
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
18 years 10 months ago #13767 by dmcdona
Dave G - just saw your earlier post. Yes, 'those' artefacts are in the image but I airbrushed them out... In fact, they're on all my bloody images now! I'm drawn to them every time!

Funny how the dark frames didn;t seem to get rid of them. I might just shoot some new darks tonight.

Funnily enough, they also show that the mount has a bit of PE that I need to calibrate out. But then I need to buy MaximDL for the PE program to work... :cry:

Cheers

Dave McD

• DaveGrennan
More
18 years 10 months ago #13769 by DaveGrennan

Funnily enough, they also show that the mount has a bit of PE that I need to calibrate out. But then I need to buy MaximDL for the PE program to work... :cry:

Dave from my understanding it is virtually impossible to manufacture a mount free from PE at any price. You could calibrate it out, but I suspect that if you want to get into *relly* long exposures at high f ratios you'll be looking at autoguiding. Even with the superb mount you have stuff like differential refraction (seeing) flexure in the telescope, minite polar misalignments will all add up

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

Time to create page: 0.116 seconds