K-Tec

New Naked Eye Comet - 17/P Holmes

More
16 years 5 months ago #53668 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: New Naked Eye Comet - 17/P Holmes
Holy freaky comets Batman !! :shock:
its like something out of startrek !
Cant wait to see it again this week as the weather gets better. ! :)

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 5 months ago #53671 by JohnMurphy
Replied by JohnMurphy on topic Re: New Naked Eye Comet - 17/P Holmes
Kieran,

I think thats the best shot I've seen yet on these boards and others. Well Done :D :D

I have yet to see any input globally from any of the pro's. Is there any scientific evidence yet as to what is causing this or is it all still speculation (good speculation but still some hard data would be nice) :?:

Clear Skies,
John Murphy
Irish Astronomical Society
Check out My Photos

More
16 years 5 months ago #53672 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: New Naked Eye Comet - 17/P Holmes

Kieran,

I think thats the best shot I've seen yet on these boards and others. Well Done :D :D

I echo those sentiments. It looks like you have caught a shockwave phenomenon of some kind there. The bubble makes it seem this comet has hardly travelled at all!

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
16 years 5 months ago #53686 by johnflannery
Replied by johnflannery on topic Re: New Naked Eye Comet - 17/P Holmes

I have yet to see any input globally from any of the pro's.

John ... have a look at the Comet Mailing List where you will find a fair few messages from the likes of comet guru John Bortle. John used to write a Comet Digest column in Sky and Telescope a number of years ago but they dropped it. He is an expert on comets although an amateur astronomer.

List is at tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/comets-ml/

More
16 years 5 months ago #53697 by JohnMurphy
Replied by JohnMurphy on topic Re: New Naked Eye Comet - 17/P Holmes
John,

Thanks for that but still no hard data. What I'm looking for is mass estimations, mass loss due to the outgassing (it must be fantastic), reasons for the outgassing, any change in orbit caused by the outgassing and loss of mass. I have seen precious little hard data (read none) on this yet and it makes you wonder what kind of an event is needed to get wheels in motion. Nasa was supposed to be organising a Hubble viewing of this event last night but there is still no information on their site (that I could find). Maybe someone in Armagh could enlighten us as to what is going on, I know Mark Bailey was (is) a comet enthusiast (certainly an Edgeworth-Kuiper Belt enthusiast).

Mark - if your monitoring these boards - can you shed any enlightenment in our direction - Please, it really would be much appreciated.

Back to speculation - I believe there is a tail to be seen, only its currently pointed away from us and may become more apparent as earths attitude to it changes, if only it lasts a couple more weeks or so. I believe there was a second outburst during the 1892 event that kept the comet visible for longer and maybe that will happen again (wishful thinking). Anyway as its cloudy and Metcheck is not forecasting kinder skies over the coming days we may be left indoors speculating rather than being productive at the eypiece/camera.

Clear Skies,
John Murphy
Irish Astronomical Society
Check out My Photos

• paulevans
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
16 years 5 months ago #53705 by paulevans
Replied by paulevans on topic Re: New Naked Eye Comet - 17/P Holmes
Professor Alan Fitzsimmons, QUB, is on the case...

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7070108.stm

Time to create page: 0.119 seconds