K-Tec

New Naked Eye Comet - 17/P Holmes

More
16 years 6 months ago #53175 by stevie
Replied by stevie on topic Re: New Naked Eye Comet - 17/P Holmes
Hi everybody, it's not often you get a chance to make a first post at a time like this.
The comet has definitely brightened slightly, although it is difficult to make an accurate estimate of magnitude in such a bright moon. It is definitely brighter than Delta Persei. My best guess would be mag 2.5. Appearance is similar to last night, the nucleus appears to be more compact, but the coma is of a similar size, and overall, the yellow colour is paler. The comet has moved slightly in the direction of Mirfak, apparently, it is predicted to pass quite near Mirfak in a few days, hopefully it will remain visible until then.
I hope the skies stay clear for you all.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 6 months ago #53176 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re: New Naked Eye Comet - 17/P Holmes

Just had a look at it for a second night, first in the binoculars and it is much bigger tonight and possibly a little brighter than last night. In the telescope it is simply stunning. Big circular coma, a point like nucleus and a quadrant of the coma showing a fan like mini tail to the west completely contained within the coma.
Gotta go and look again.......

That's exactly how I see it too Michael.

I've never seen the likes of this before...simply amazing!
Make sure you see this in a telescope!

More
16 years 6 months ago #53184 by ftodonoghue
Replied by ftodonoghue on topic Re: New Naked Eye Comet - 17/P Holmes

here is a pic cropped from a shot taken at iso800 F5.6 300mm .6secs

Tried to capture some detail in it, but I am not sure. It does however look a bit like this in a small scope.

Cheers
Trevor

More
16 years 6 months ago #53189 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: New Naked Eye Comet - 17/P Holmes

Just had a look at it for a second night, first in the binoculars and it is much bigger tonight and possibly a little brighter than last night. In the telescope it is simply stunning. Big circular coma, a point like nucleus and a quadrant of the coma showing a fan like mini tail to the west completely contained within the coma.
Gotta go and look again.......

Dam clouds...

The bright point like nucleus wasn't visible last night. The 'fan' is fairly obvious too. It looks almost as if its a cone pointed towards us with a bright light on top and slightly lit from one side. Hopefully the clouds will blow over.

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

More
16 years 6 months ago #53191 by TrevorDurity
Replied by TrevorDurity on topic Re: New Naked Eye Comet - 17/P Holmes
Very unusual. We've got a ton of thin cloud & all we can see here is the moon and maybe 3 stars but the comet is still very visible.
I didn't think there'd be any point in setting up the scope so I took a gander through 7x50s (Lidl's best). Even in the binos it looks like it's bigger than it was yesterday. What a weird object.

More
16 years 6 months ago #53197 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re: New Naked Eye Comet - 17/P Holmes
Oh, Trev, get out that scope! Well worth a look even in hazy skies!
It'd definetly bigger and brighter than last night. Somewhere about the mag. 2.3~ish I reckon tonight.

Time to create page: 0.115 seconds