K-Tec

Lack of observers.

More
16 years 5 months ago #55076 by ayiomamitis
Replied by ayiomamitis on topic Re: Lack of observers.

Hi Anthony,

Hi John,

Great to see you light curves!

Glad you like them. I have been after DY Peg for three nights but the weather has made a mess of my plans. I have some great curves for this variable with a couple of "glitches" due to heavy clouds.

Did you ever try using Photometric filters, or did you find them too dim for just period analysis.

To be honest, I have yet to use a photometric filter. I am still on the learning curve and experimental stage.

Also what determined your exposure of 60s ?

This was based on my desire to have an ADU no greater than 23000 for my variable of interest for any of its pixels so as to remain within the linear behaviour of my CCD chip.

I have just got a new (modest) CCD photometric setup with BVI filters.

For starters, I will be going after the Schuler V filter and slowly expand from there.

I must admit that these light curves are a lot of fun to produce and the task itself is almost brainless. Astrophotography of the deep-sky requires a serious amount of effort and concentration and in contrast to photometry where things are almost hassle-free.

Anthony Ayiomamitis
Athens, Greece
www.perseus.gr

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 5 months ago #55092 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: Lack of observers.

I must admit that these light curves are a lot of fun to produce and the task itself is almost brainless. Astrophotography of the deep-sky requires a serious amount of effort and concentration and in contrast to photometry where things are almost hassle-free.

Hmmm, try finding the pole orientation of an asteroid... Especially a slow rotator. You'll wish all you were doing was imaging M42 :wink:

More
16 years 5 months ago #55093 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: Lack of observers.

I have just got a new (modest) CCD photometric setup with BVI filters.John

Hi John, mind me asking what the setup is and what are your goals?

Cheers
Dave

• lunartic_old
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
16 years 5 months ago #55099 by lunartic_old
Replied by lunartic_old on topic Re: Lack of observers.
Wow, it's amazing how a thread can run off into something completely different and isn't it great. :D

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.

Rich Cook

More
16 years 5 months ago #55104 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: Lack of observers.

Wow, it's amazing how a thread can run off into something completely different and isn't it great. :D

For something as boring as variable and double star observing its almost an interesting thread

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

More
16 years 5 months ago #55109 by Keith g
Replied by Keith g on topic Re:

For something as boring as variable

Far from it !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Variable star observing is very interesting, it's one of the few branches of astronomy that remains very accessible to amatuers to mke a positive contribution. I think I better break an egg shell here - I think that most people are under the impression that variable star observing consists of monitioring stars of known variability forever more, a bit like watch a repeat program on television over and over again - that is simply a myth, vs observing is quite the opposite, there are so many catagories of variable stars, it's diffficult to cover them all.

Just have a look at the activity worldwide on sites such as AAVSO, BAAVSS, VSNET, CVNET to name but a few. The amount of e-mails going around on this broad subject alone daily is very high.

It's a bit like describing planeatary observing as boring since Jupiter, Saturn, Venus et al all look the same all of the time????

Now let me tell that to all Mars observers, I'm sure I know what response i'd get :lol:

Keith..

Time to create page: 0.109 seconds