K-Tec

Lack of observers.

More
16 years 5 months ago #54651 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Lack of observers.
I don't think (from my point of view as one of the webmasters) that you'll lose this forum guys! It might be a sparse-to-read one, but it is a specialty forum too.

For my own 2 cents, when I was younger (in my teens), I would sometimes try and put out light curves on a few well known naked eye novae, like Algol. Those records are lost somewhere, but the jist of it was that it wasn't much 'fun' after a while. I was only a kid, making naked eye observations for which the professionals, I was certain, were already looking at them with better equipment and level of accuracy!

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 5 months ago #54678 by Keith g
Replied by Keith g on topic Re:

but the jist of it was that it wasn't much 'fun' after a while

I find that too Seanie I must admit, but I'm attracted by the surprise outbursts that can occur. The 'regular' stars whose varaiability are now adays very predictable are just that - predictable. It's the nova that go off that attract me. I'd love to get my name on one !

Keith..

More
16 years 5 months ago #54680 by eansbro
Replied by eansbro on topic Re: Lack of observers.
Keith,

I encourage you to observe those Nova productive regions. The statistics show it can be done. For example, I managed to bag one back when I was a young guy back in 1976. At the time I thought I was observing an irregular variable that was on the rise, but turned out to be a Nova in Vulpecula at 6.5 mag. I missed been the first discoverer by 20 minutes according to the IAUC. However, altogether I only had spent 80 hours observing that general region. So, it can be done. At the time I was using a large pair of binoculars.

Good Nova hunting!

Eamonn A

More
16 years 5 months ago #54696 by Keith g
Replied by Keith g on topic Re:

Keith,

I encourage you to observe those Nova productive regions

Thank for the encouragement Eamonn ! I have been doing this for about 6 years now, especially in the many regions of the summer milkyway.
I do this with my 9x60mm and 15x70mm binoculars, and you'd be surprised at how well you can memorise all thos starfields !

I missed been the first discoverer by 20 minutes according to the IAUC

Aw, that's real tough luck. I had the same experience with the RS Ophiuchi outburst in February 2006. I missed the discovery by hours - and what was the killer was the fact that it was the clouds that got me :(

Keep up the good work !

Keith..

More
16 years 5 months ago #54798 by ayiomamitis
Replied by ayiomamitis on topic Re: Lack of observers.
I have been pulling my hair the past six weeks with the local weather but managed during a very brief window of opportunity to try my hand at photometry.

Here are two light curves involving the variables AB and GP And:

www.perseus.gr/Astro-Photometry-And-AB-20071108.htm
www.perseus.gr/Astro-Photometry-And-GP-20071108.htm

I have been trying to also capture the variable DY Peg but have been interrupted continuously by the bad weather. Back at it tomorrow evening when thereotically there will be another brief window of opportunity.

Anthony Ayiomamitis
Athens, Greece
www.perseus.gr

More
16 years 5 months ago #54799 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: Lack of observers.
Anthony - what software are you using to generate the curves? Is it AIP4Win?

Also, how did you choose the comparison? And why only one?

Nice curves by the way :D

Time to create page: 0.120 seconds