K-Tec

Well done Astronomy Ireland. - Our 'important' galaxy?

More
15 years 11 months ago #67851 by albertw

NOR do we have ANY evidence whatsoever to suggest that there are NOT any other life forms out there......................NONE.

There no evidence that there isn't a teapot orbiting Saturn, but we don't have to go out and prove its not there. The burden of proof is on those suggesting it is there. Similarly with ET life.

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• DaveGrennan
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
More
15 years 11 months ago #67852 by DaveGrennan

Keep up the great work guys.

Paul it would be great if you sent your comments to editor@astronomy.ie. They would perk up the mag team, no end.

ANyway thanks again.

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

More
15 years 11 months ago #67853 by JohnMurphy
PJ - Nice sentiments. I agree with most of what you are saying.

I am basically a sceptic, but in my experience over the last 10 years dealing in large numbers, it has shown to me that if it is at least possible then it is more than likely probable. Life of course does exist elswhere in our Universe. We may never find out for sure but statistically is is virtually a dead cert. I'd bet my kids lives on it, though I also know, given the vast distances in spacetime, we will probably never know for sure.

When we talk about importance here (of Galaxies) what are we actually saying? And regardless of what importance we assign - what difference will that make? Nature and the cosmos will decide our fates regardless of our "importance". To this end I support the likes of SETI, though I don't think that other "genuine" science projects that will provide beneficial, quantifiable results should suffer because of limited funding (SETI is expendable).

So WE are the most important Galaxy in the Universe, simply because we live here. I would also support the idea that my house is the most important house in the Universe because I and my family live in it. If push comes to Shove then I will do all I can to ensure that my house and my family survive, therefore to me these are the most important things in the Universe. This may all be biological programming but its not something I can ignore or even consider arguing with.

Clear Skies,
John Murphy
Irish Astronomical Society
Check out My Photos

• pj30something
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
15 years 11 months ago #67854 by pj30something
Paul it would be great if you sent your comments to editor@astronomy.ie. They would perk up the mag team, no end.

I do like to question things i dont fully understand. I'm sure many people feel the same as i do. Maybe my "gobshite" questions wll help many people.

Paul C
My next scope is going to be a Vixen VMC200L Catadioptric OTA

More
15 years 11 months ago #67864 by Petermark

our galaxy has one thing that NO OTHER galaxy in the universe has..................LIFE

Not so Paul.

My girlfriend comes from another galaxy.
(Possibly even another universe.)

Mark.
Anybody who says that Earthshine is reflected Sunshine is talking Moonshine.

More
15 years 11 months ago #67865 by dmcdona
So, if we were to find life in another galaxy, how important would our galaxy be then?

As for the teapot around Saturn, I understand from sources that this is precisely what NASA have been hunting for for over 50 years and the subject of the press announcement next week.

Time to create page: 0.107 seconds