K-Tec

Well done Astronomy Ireland. - Our 'important' galaxy?

More
15 years 11 months ago #67845 by albertw

In MY mind......................the notion that we are alone is simply ignorant.

It is however currently factual. Despite our searches we've found zero life elsewhere and in fact zero evidence that life has ever been anywhere.

Might be there might not. Speculation on it is philosophy, religion, or sci-fi.

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pj30something
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
15 years 11 months ago #67846 by pj30something
It is however currently factual. Despite our searches we've found zero life elsewhere and in fact zero evidence that life has ever been anywhere.

THUS FAR. Our search continues. I dont think we (humans) will ever give up the search. Nor should we.

We wouldnt be human if we did.

Paul C
My next scope is going to be a Vixen VMC200L Catadioptric OTA

• DaveGrennan
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
More
15 years 11 months ago #67847 by DaveGrennan
We have absolutely NO evidence whatsoever to suggest there are other life forms out there. NONE WHATSOEVER!! Don't forget that guys.

If you fall into the trap of thinking that something is true just because it can be then you find your self in the same scientific pot as the flat earth society.

Science is about empirical evidence. The vastness of the universe does not consititute such.

PJ, thanks for the comments on this months mag.

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

• pj30something
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
15 years 11 months ago #67848 by pj30something
We have absolutely NO evidence whatsoever to suggest there are other life forms out there. NONE WHATSOEVER!! Don't forget that guys.

NOR do we have ANY evidence whatsoever to suggest that there are NOT any other life forms out there......................NONE.

So as the article states...................."it is the unanswerable question".

Cuz we simply do not know................what we do not know. So how can any of us be right?

Thats why i LOVED this article in the magazine so much...............CUZ IT MAKES US THINK.

Paul C

• pj30something
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
15 years 11 months ago #67849 by pj30something
iI dont mean to argue here anything published in the mag. I really just want to say well done..............cuz i feel this issue is the the best yet.

Keep up the great work guys.

Paul C

• DaveGrennan
More
15 years 11 months ago #67850 by DaveGrennan

NOR do we have ANY evidence whatsoever to suggest that there are NOT any other life forms out there......................NONE.

Thats not entirely true PJ. All our empirical tests to date have turned up nothing. Thats is not proof, but it is evidence. I have no evidence that there isn't a painted lady dancing outside my window but that wouldn't justify me in beleiving that there is.

You are dead right that the only truth is that we don't know. There is of course the possibility that any life is so remote that we may never contact it or even know about it's existance.

What I'm really driving out is the assertation which is thrown around a lot 'There MUST be life out there'. MUST is an absolute and again the only absolute is that we don't know.

Of course one day we might come across a race not unlike 'The Borg' in star-trek or 'The Wraith' from stargate atlantis and then we might fondly look back on the days when we didn't know about such horrors. The lyrics of a song spring to mind. 'Don't wish too hard because they may come true and you can't help them' Scared yet?

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

Time to create page: 0.106 seconds