K-Tec

Help with mount

More
9 years 10 months ago #100955 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Help with mount
Well given that the problem is too much play in the mount, it sounds like an easy fix tbh

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• carlobeirnes
  • IFAS Sponsor & Astronomer of the Year 2013
More
9 years 10 months ago - 9 years 10 months ago #100959 by carlobeirnes
Replied by carlobeirnes on topic Help with mount

olympusstar wrote: Hi Carl ,
Thanks I really appreciate that. Would you mind if I dropped in on Friday morning and would you mind if I stayed and watch so I would know how to do it myself next time ?
Thanks so much,
Gary

Hi Gary,

It's no problem at all.

Dave are you messing regarding having to send the scopes back to Mexico. Could you imagine the shipping cost :-)).

Carl O’Beirnes,
Scopes and Space Ltd,
Unit A8 Airside Enterprise Centre,
Swords, Co Dublin,
Ireland.
www.scopesandspace.ie/
www.facebook.com/scopesandspace
twitter.com/ScopesandSpace
www.youtube.com/user/ScopesandSpace
Last edit: 9 years 10 months ago by carlobeirnes.

• carlobeirnes
More
9 years 10 months ago #100960 by carlobeirnes
Replied by carlobeirnes on topic Help with mount

olympusstar wrote: Hi Carl ,
Thanks I really appreciate that. Would you mind if I dropped in on Friday morning and would you mind if I stayed and watch so I would know how to do it myself next time ?
Thanks so much,
Gary

Hi Gary,

It's no problem at all.

Dave are you messing regarding having to send the scopes back to Mexico. Could you imagine the shipping cost :-)).

Carl O’Beirnes,
Scopes and Space Ltd,
Unit A8 Airside Enterprise Centre,
Swords, Co Dublin,
Ireland.
www.scopesandspace.ie/
www.facebook.com/scopesandspace
twitter.com/ScopesandSpace
www.youtube.com/user/ScopesandSpace

More
8 years 3 months ago #105299 by bilboo969
Replied by bilboo969 on topic Help with mount
Hi Lads,

Happy New Year to every one! Lots of luck, all the best and lots great sightings and meteor showers and stuff for 2016!! :-)

Am new to the whole Astronomy so please be very patience with me but thought I clink myself into this old post here as I have a similar issue with mine!

Got a Bresser Skylux EL 70/700 (lidl) Telescope from my kids for Christmas and am really enjoying it so far - had a few very good looks at the moon to start me off!

I know it is also not the most expensive / good one but read lots of comment, that it is a good one to start off with!

My problem is with DEC axis mount fixation - hope using the right terms here! When trying to fine adjust or if you touch to hard with your face onto the eye piece, the telescope keeps on moving / not staying fixed on the spot.

Does not matter how tight I make it, it very easily moves up and down and of course - you know what they say: after very tight comes very loose - I managed to damaged the thread of the DEC fixation screw last night :( .

Any worth into looking to get it fixed or better contact support & hope for an exchange fro the same or should i may even consider trying to get slightly better model/version?

Your help and reconsiderations would be much appreciated!
Thanks am ill in advance
Best regards
Andre

More
8 years 3 months ago #105322 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Help with mount
Hi Andre,

I had an earlier edition - by about 10 years - of the Skylux, and it also had a slight problem on the EQ2 mount whereby one of the axes had a little bit of play, even with the fixing screw fastened securely. Over time, I decided to disassemble it myself and clean it, finding out that I had to re-adjust something in the housing for the fixing screw to grab properly. That then kept the mount in a solid, locked position.

I still have the mount today and use it from time to time (I even added and EQ2 declination motor to it for tracking), but I can't remember the exact component I 'fixed'. If I am remembering it correctly, there's a chunky plastic collar inside the housing that just needs to have the orientation turned a little before putting the pieces back together.

I know there were a few other visitors to this site over the years that had similar problems on certain years the Skylux was available.

Leaving the mount problem aside, the Skylux is a great little scope, a fantastic entry level refractor with quite an easy-to-use equatorial mount. On a really clear night (and depending on how close Earth is to the planet in question) you should see 2 cloud belts on Jupiter, the phases of Venus, the Rings of Saturn as a single band around the disk, and excellent views of the Moon. The only sound piece of advice I can give is ditch the poor quality eyepieces that came with it, and pick up 2 Celestron Plossl eyepieces (which you'll get very cheaply, get a 26mm and 12mm) that will serve you just fine.

Clear Skies!

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bilboo969

More
8 years 3 months ago #105324 by bilboo969
Replied by bilboo969 on topic Help with mount
Hi Seanie,

thanks so much for your reply / and tips. Once I get the broken thread fixation screw fixed - contacted Lidl customer servcies already and hope it wont be taking too long!! :) - I will check that out! But unfortunately it is not the thread of the screw - which would be easily replaced - that broke!!

I was actuality looking at getting one additional Celestron eye piece already I had seen been recommended somewhere, where I also read that the 4 mm one included is no good! Think the 20mm one seems to be ok but that might be just my novice option :) .

A Celestron 1.25" 8-24mm Zoom Eyepiece!? Do you know them / do you or anyone else have any experience with them?

Clear Skies!
Andre

Time to create page: 0.103 seconds