K-Tec

G'day from Australia.

• DaveGrennan
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
More
17 years 9 months ago #30931 by DaveGrennan
Replied by DaveGrennan on topic Re: G'day from Australia.
Hi Ed,

Welcome to the boards. Lovely scope you have there!!

As already indicated. Phil Lardner is our local ATM swami guru!! Phil is currently building a 14" folded stevick-paul telescope. Last I heard he was busy making two matching 10" flat mirrors. Phil is a goldmine of ATM knowledge.

I have alerted him to this post!

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 9 months ago #30932 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: G'day from Australia.

Phil Lardner is our local ATM swami guru!! Phil is currently building a 14" folded stevick-paul telescope. Last I heard he was busy making two matching 10" flat mirrors. Phil is a goldmine of ATM knowledge.

For the benefit of anyone who like me never heard of a 'folded stevick-paul telescope' before!
bhs.broo.k12.wv.us/homepage/alumni/dstevick/stevpaul.htm

The whole site of 'wierd telescopes' is worth a look
bhs.broo.k12.wv.us/homepage/alumni/dstevick/weird.htm

Cheers,
~Al

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

More
17 years 9 months ago #30933 by Pioneer
Replied by Pioneer on topic Re: G'day from Australia.
Nice scope. I hope to build something like that but with an aperature of 10 to 12".

More
17 years 8 months ago #31380 by philiplardner
Replied by philiplardner on topic Re: G'day from Australia.
Hi Ed,

Just home after the holidays and still catching up on email, so sorry for not replying before now! Yup, as advertised I'm currently working on a 14" f/15 folded Stevick-Paul scope for high contrast planetary work. Progress on that project was on hold for a while, but I'm getting back to it now the holidays are over.

I'm also about to turn the sod on a 5m domed observatory to house both the 14" f/15 and a 20" f/4 Newtonian piggybacked on a large permenant fork mount. Just to make it different, I'm planning on making the dome in the form of a 6v icosahedron geodesic structure - I don't like making things easy for myself! If you do a search for "CADRE GEO" either on these boards or in Google you should come up with a link to some very useful geodesic design software which will give you an idea of what I am saddling myself with.

I'll post pictures as I make progress!

Phil.

PS - I built a very compact 8.75" truss Newtonian to take on holidays with me to France this summer - it worked a treat! Here are a few pics.

Time to create page: 0.106 seconds