K-Tec

what is your expirience of shopping with astronomy ireland?

More
17 years 6 months ago #33639 by briano
I can not believe that AI will match any price in the world taking into acount taxes , duties and shipping.Celestron prices in the U.S. are dirt cheap compared to here and the U.K.

Tax 21.5% ,duty 3.5% shipping maybe 200euro.Maybe I might be wrong.

Brian O Leary

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• DaveGrennan
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
More
17 years 6 months ago #33641 by DaveGrennan

I can not believe that AI will match any price in the world taking into acount taxes , duties and shipping.Celestron prices in the U.S. are dirt cheap compared to here and the U.K.

Tax 21.5% ,duty 3.5% shipping maybe 200euro.Maybe I might be wrong.

Well Brian,

Thats what I was told 'straight from the horses mouth' so to speak. Lets see if their good to their word. Your spot on with the taxes except I think the excise duty on scopes is 4.2% but I'm no expert on these matters.

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

More
17 years 6 months ago #33646 by dmcdona
FWIW, I was told in the last few days that A&S will match the David Hinds price for Celestron products.

That said, recent post in the last few months refer to a poor after-sales performance. That could however be a knock-on effect from Celestron. Or it might not...

More
17 years 6 months ago #33649 by Silversurfer
From my own experince buying from AI, they will definitely match David Hinds price. Though you have to research the price yourself and challenge them on their initial quote which is usually substantially higher - personally this way of doing business leaves a sour taste in my mouth :evil:, and doesn't encourage return custom.

I bought my Telescope and Mount from Telescope Services in Germany, their prices are very reasonable (even if you include the cost of post and packaging) and their products and service are very good.

Martin

You can lead a horse to water but a pencil must be lead

More
17 years 6 months ago #33661 by dave_lillis

I really dont know if that was the case, it may well have been. However this is not the case now as I was told when I was on the phone to A&S only 5 minutes ago

Fair enough Dave, I was taking what people say here as gospel.
As it happens I'm not in the look out for a new celestron OTA, all the same this is one I would love to test to its entirety.

Its a pity he goes down the road of matching others prices, in a certain way its a good thing but I'd hate to get equipment off any shop only to be told afterwards that if I had haggled I would definitely have got a better price.
I make it sound like he cant win no matter what he does.
If the orig price was competitive in the first place, this would not be an issue.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

Time to create page: 0.109 seconds