K-Tec

what is your expirience of shopping with astronomy ireland?

More
17 years 6 months ago #33579 by lionsden

regarding the high price from astronomy ireland, i was talking to the owner, and, he says that if i find a lower price, he will match that. doesnt seem all that bad!

Problem is, he's the exclusive agent for Celestron in Ireland!
David Hinds (as far as I'm aware) is the same in the UK. His price's are lower but he won't ship to Ireland. Ask if Astronomy Ireland match his price's, there are some large differences and would be well worth your while.

Leo @ Lionsden
Perhap because light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 6 months ago #33580 by Macros42

regarding the high price from astronomy ireland, i was talking to the owner, and, he says that if i find a lower price, he will match that. doesnt seem all that bad!

He means locally. I asked that question a couple of years ago too and was told that. When I pressed them they admitted that locally means in the Republic of Ireland. So matching Andy's prices for Helios/Skywatcher won't happen. Nor will matching prices for any Meades. For comparison my 8" Skywatcher on EQ5 with a large viewfinder and dual-axis motor cost about €530 (about 18 months ago).

Steve
--
"Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen" -- Albert Einstein

More
17 years 6 months ago #33591 by dave_lillis

thats gas! :lol: he'll match anyone elses prices in the republic only, and since he is the exclusive dealer for celestron here, no one else can give a price on celestron, so he cant be beat. :lol: :roll:

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
17 years 6 months ago #33596 by Seanie_Morris
Don't forget, he only says that because the only main competitor against him for telescopes IN IRELAND is Argos... and they only ever had 2 Celestrons in their catalogue! Your average chemist out there that would also sell telescopes are going to have Tasco or something else.
So it's not fair! No one will go to him for the small scopes if they are smart enough to check Argos first! Therefore, if you really wanted a bigger Celestron, you can only really have Astronomy & Space as an option.

By the way, Astronomy Ireland does not exist. Check out the CRO website. Hasn't existed for a couple of years at least (since 2000).

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

• DaveGrennan
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
More
17 years 6 months ago #33615 by DaveGrennan

By the way, Astronomy Ireland does not exist. Check out the CRO website. Hasn't existed for a couple of years at least

I assume you mean Astronomy Ireland LIMITED does not exist. That formal company was set up a few years ago to administer a FAS community employment scheme. FAS required that it was setup. But when the FAS scheme ended there was no more need for that entity to exist. The telescope sales side of AI is now managed as Astronomy & Space Limited.

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

• DaveGrennan
More
17 years 6 months ago #33617 by DaveGrennan

thats gas! :lol: he'll match anyone elses prices in the republic only, and since he is the exclusive dealer for celestron here, no one else can give a price on celestron, so he cant be beat. :lol: :roll:

I really dont know if that was the case, it may well have been. However this is not the case now as I was told when I was on the phone to A&S only 5 minutes ago

I am told that A&S will match any price on any CELESTRON product anywhere in the WORLD, as long as all taxes duties and fair shipping is taken into account. Basically what i'm being told is that if you take a celestron scope sold in the US, UK or anywhere, add in what it will cost to get it to your door. A&S will match that. Thats apparently why all the prices were taken off the website because as AL pointed out they were too high.

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

Time to create page: 0.105 seconds