K-Tec

Canon EOS 400d

More
17 years 5 months ago #36013 by ayiomamitis
Replied by ayiomamitis on topic Re: Canon EOS 400d

Peter,

I saw one for sale on Astromart just last week for 500 euro in mint condition. Personally I would wait for the EOS 5d to come down in price ... there is something special about 35mm sized chips.

Anthony,

I wonder why you could chose a full-framed camera over the APS-C sized frame? The APS-C frame has a cropping factor of 1.6 so it will multiply the focal length by 1.6 of any glass used when compared to 35mm frame size.

Darragh,

This is precisely the point! If I need extra focal length, I can address such a need very easily with either a Barlow, a longer focal length telescope or my 300D which already has the 1.6x multiplier.

However, once we need a wider field of view for some object (ex. a comet, M33, M42, Hyades, M31 etc), we have a serious problem which is relatively more difficult to address than the converse (a focal reducer for widefield work may also require the purchase of a field flattener and with the final cost being into the hundreds of dollars; the field flattener/reducer for my AP160 is $1500 and changes my system from an f/7.5 to f/5.9). With a 35mm sized chip, we have our wider field and, if we need the effect of an 1.6x multiplier, we have a slew of relatively trivial options to address it.

Unless I am missing something, the focal multiplier would seem to be something astrophotographers would want.

In general, we (astrophotographers) want wider fields and not narrower fields ... and also it is much easier to extend focal length than the converse when the need arises.

I know I would rather keep the focal multiplier than have the full frame. Also it's going to quite expensive to have to change the EF-S lenses for EF Lenses :-(

The EF-S lenses are not a serious issue. I have EF lenses for my EOS 3 (35 mm film) which would be fully compatible with the EOS 5d as is the case for the other lenses in the EF line (ex. 85 mm).

Anthony Ayiomamitis
Athens, Greece
www.perseus.gr

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 5 months ago #36020 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Canon EOS 400d

My 300D battery is now almost useless as it doesn't keep a charge for any length of time while doing long exposures, its grand for daytime stuff.

Dave,

I picked up a couple of 1800 mA batteries for my 300D and they work like a charm and they cost just a few euros!

Yes, direct access to AC is nice but then what do you do for offsite work at some remote site?

Anthony,
Since I'm too lasy nowadays to carry the 12" to a remote site, its not an issue.
I was thinking of just getting new batteries, but since the orig battery was very good initially and worsened with time, I reckon new batteries would do the same eventually. The mad thing is that my finishing at night is mainly due to the battery giving up, and thats just not good enough.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
17 years 5 months ago #36042 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re: Canon EOS 400d

Hi Keith,
I've ordered a mains adapter for the canon,
good bye batteries :lol:

Dave,
Mind pointing a link to where you got the adapter? Would like to get one myself.
Cheers,

More
17 years 5 months ago #36052 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re:

Batteries are here Dave...
www.payless-batteries.co.uk/camcorder-ba...ub5YgCFUxrMAodP3GKkQ

I got 4 from ebay a wile ago for about £20 (inc postage).

Speaking of the 350D (but I assume true for the 400D also), the included kit lens is fine for snapshots, but it is not a great lens. Recently I got a Sigma 18-50 to replace it and now have noticably sharper pictures and hardly any chromatic abberation. It may be worth considering getting the body only option camera and buying this lens instead of the supplied canon kit one. SIGMA 18-50mm F/3.5-5.6 DC ~EUR115.

Also, in a similar price range canon do a fixed length 50mm lens, CANON EF 50 F1.8 II standard lens. Very sharp images. Jsut thought I'd mention it as it might be of interst to people for constallation shots.

Cheers,
~Al

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

More
17 years 5 months ago #36058 by ayiomamitis
Replied by ayiomamitis on topic Re:

Also, in a similar price range canon do a fixed length 50mm lens, CANON EF 50 F1.8 II standard lens. Very sharp images. Jsut thought I'd mention it as it might be of interst to people for constallation shots.

Al,

This is something I can attest to as well. I bought speciflcally for constellation imaging, as you note, and it is also a very sharp lens. If posisble, one should try to look for a defective unit (ex. autofocus does not work) and which they will find dirt cheap.

Anthony Ayiomamitis
Athens, Greece
www.perseus.gr

More
17 years 5 months ago #36059 by ayiomamitis
Replied by ayiomamitis on topic Re:

My 300D battery is now almost useless as it doesn't keep a charge for any length of time while doing long exposures, its grand for daytime stuff.

Batteries are here Dave...
www.payless-batteries.co.uk/camcorder-ba...ub5YgCFUxrMAodP3GKkQ

Keith,

Those batteries are quite extensive and also have a lower capacity. The ones I picked up are 1800 mA and cost $4-$5 each plus a small amount for shipping. I am referring to the batteries for the 300d and, as a result, we may be talking apples and oranges if you have something else in mind (ex. EOS 350d).

Anthony Ayiomamitis
Athens, Greece
www.perseus.gr

Time to create page: 0.120 seconds