K-Tec

A QUICK QUESTION...

More
16 years 5 months ago #53717 by jhoare
Replied by jhoare on topic Re: A QUICK QUESTION...

APM Germany sell a 10" refractor (apo). A mere snip at 44,990euro. Tube weighs 45kg.

That refractor must be a very fast focal ratio (f/6 or less)? The 12" South refractor manufactured by Grubb of Dublin for the Dunsink observatory is an f/18 with a huge immovable British Equatorial mount ( the foundations go right down into the bedrock) and a sizeable dome. Using that and modern 6" refractors for comparison even a 10" f/6 would be impractical except as an observatory telescope.

A 10" f/6 Dob would be manageable and the least expensive but a 10" Newt would have to be f/4 for use on a German Equatorial mount (GEM) and the mount would add cost. A 10" SCT would be the most compact and a really good match for a GEM but is more expensive and a 10" SCT on a GoTo fork mount may be the most expensive option.

John

Better that old people should die of talk than to have young people die in war.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 5 months ago #53719 by philiplardner
Replied by philiplardner on topic Re: A QUICK QUESTION...

The 12" South refractor manufactured by Grubb of Dublin for the Dunsink observatory is an f/18 with a huge immovable British Equatorial mount...

I'm curious - I thought the Dunsink 12" refractor was on a German Equatorial Mount, but like John, the guide at Dunsink described it (I think) as a British Equatorial Mount.

My understanding of the British contribution to telescope mounts was what is called the English (or Yoke) mount - similar to a Fork mount but with the telescope mounted between two parallel beams. Can anyone shed any light on this?

Phil.

PS - see en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equatorial_mount for a discussion on mounts.

More
16 years 5 months ago #53721 by jhoare
Replied by jhoare on topic Re: A QUICK QUESTION...
I was puzzled by that myself. When I inquired on Cloudy Nights I was informed I was informed that it's more commonly known as an 'English Mount' or 'English Cross Axis'. On viewing this link: home.earthlink.net/~indig/DesignMusings/...esign_Mountings.html , however, I have come to the conclusion that it's a different variation of the German mount. But it's neither an English Yoke nor an English Cross Axis, I last saw it just a couple of weeks ago.

John

Better that old people should die of talk than to have young people die in war.

More
16 years 5 months ago #53728 by pmgisme
Replied by pmgisme on topic Re: A QUICK QUESTION...
Maygray,

To cut through all the confusion:

Just buy a reflector with diameter approx 3-4 inches wider than an equivalent refractor (10 inch apo refractor = Approx 13-14 inch high quality reflector.) and you have a roughly equivalent telescope for planetary detail,and superior for everything else.

Not an equivalent price though!

Peter.

More
16 years 5 months ago #53743 by johnomahony
Replied by johnomahony on topic Re: A QUICK QUESTION...

jhoare wrote:

APM Germany sell a 10" refractor (apo). A mere snip at 44,990euro. Tube weighs 45kg.

That refractor must be a very fast focal ratio (f/6 or less)? The 12" South refractor manufactured by Grubb of Dublin for the Dunsink observatory is an f/18 with a huge immovable British Equatorial mount

I was lucky to see the longest refractor in the world in Berlin last year ( a former colleague of mine used to work at the observatory but still has a key to the observatory:wink: It looks like a huge cannon . It still has bullet holes in it from WW2 (Allies probably though it was an artillery piece :roll: )

The Lord giveth, the Revenue taketh away. (John 1:16)

www.flickr.com/photos/7703127@N07/

More
16 years 5 months ago #53747 by JohnMurphy
Replied by JohnMurphy on topic Re: A QUICK QUESTION...

The 12" South refractor manufactured by Grubb of Dublin for the Dunsink observatory is an f/18 with a huge immovable British Equatorial mount

I wouldn't say immovable (unless you mean fixed, its certainly not portable :D ) - its a nicely balanced piece of kit, easy to move around and the mechanism still works a treat - though you do have to wind the weight back up every so often and then realign. The optics are still pretty sharp though.

Here's a photo I took at our last months talk and observing session afterwards:

Clear Skies,
John Murphy
Irish Astronomical Society
Check out My Photos

Time to create page: 0.113 seconds