K-Tec

A QUICK QUESTION...

More
16 years 5 months ago #53707 by Perseus
Replied by Perseus on topic Re: A QUICK QUESTION...

QUESTION........ Which is better ....: 10in reflector, 10in refractor of 10in smith cassegrain (assuming all similar quality and using same eyepieces etc)??

Hi Kevin

The problem with asking astronomers anything is you will never get a straight answer :D

To answer your question a 10" refractor is best, however if you need to ask the question you need a 10" reflector.

Damon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 5 months ago #53708 by johnomahony
Replied by johnomahony on topic Re: A QUICK QUESTION...
When I was a kid the recommendation for a "useful" telescope was either a 3" refracter or a 6" reflector and there really much of a choice of instruments affordable around.
Nowadays, if you don't have a least a 20" dob nobody takes you seriously. My 11" sct would have been considered a large telescope 20 odd years ago, now it is a medium sized scope (or a decent finder scope :wink: )

The Lord giveth, the Revenue taketh away. (John 1:16)

www.flickr.com/photos/7703127@N07/

More
16 years 5 months ago #53710 by johnomahony
Replied by johnomahony on topic Re: A QUICK QUESTION...

When I was a kid the recommendation for a "useful" telescope was either a 3" refracter or a 6" reflector and there really much of a choice of instruments affordable around.
Nowadays, if you don't have a least a 20" dob nobody takes you seriously. My 11" sct would have been considered a large telescope 20 odd years ago, now it is a medium sized scope (or a decent finder scope :wink: )

Pardon my writing, it should read " not much of a choice of affordable instruments at that time" :oops:
This is always the problem with sending a quick reply on IFAS when in fact I should be working!! :evil:

The Lord giveth, the Revenue taketh away. (John 1:16)

www.flickr.com/photos/7703127@N07/

More
16 years 5 months ago #53711 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: A QUICK QUESTION...
I'd go for the refractor any day providing all expenses, dome, and bits and bobs were covered! ;)

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
16 years 5 months ago #53713 by pmgisme
Replied by pmgisme on topic Re: A QUICK QUESTION...
An Obsession 15 inch Dob with a 2.6 inch central obstruction is the equal of any 12.4 inch apo refractor for planetary detail, and far superior in light grasp for deep space work.

You have to optically illiterate (and rich) to purchase an inferior 10 inch apo refractor for about ten times the price .

Superior Obsession 15 inch Dob: €5k (all in)
Inferior apo 10 inch refractor: €45k (excluding P&P)

No contest.

Peter.

More
16 years 5 months ago #53716 by jhoare
Replied by jhoare on topic Re: A QUICK QUESTION...

That explains a lot. :roll: My biggest scope is a 6". But the budget conscious folks do 'respect' my Hyperion eyepieces.

John

Better that old people should die of talk than to have young people die in war.

Time to create page: 0.102 seconds