K-Tec

weather/scientific balloons

More
16 years 4 months ago #57187 by mconnors
weather/scientific balloons was created by mconnors
Hi, I was wondering if anyone here could tell me what are the regulations regarding sending up a balloon to take pictures of earth from nearspace. From what I have found on the IAA website I think it is ok to launch one under 2 meters wide without a permit. Are restrictions in place on where you can launch them from?

Has anyone here ever done this? And what size of a balloon would you need to get to 15-20 thousand feet?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 4 months ago #57188 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: weather/scientific balloons
Hi and welcome,
I havent heard of anyone doing this before, how would you recover the camera afterwards, this thing could float out to the atlantic and what about planes?

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
16 years 4 months ago #57191 by Frank Ryan
Replied by Frank Ryan on topic Re: weather/scientific balloons
Never heard of that but I did see an advert for a rocket with a built in camera that relays the image to a PC.
One use only though! :D

My Astrophotography
Shannonside Astronomy Club __________________________________________
Meade ETX-125PE, Bresser 10 x 50 Binos & Me Peepers

More
16 years 4 months ago #57192 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: weather/scientific balloons

Never heard of that but I did see an advert for a rocket with a built in camera that relays the image to a PC.
One use only though! :D

Ash McFadden was talking about that a while ago. Not sure if its something he regularly does. Giving him a call in the Inishowen Maritime Museum might help with legalities.

The only balloons have been about 40cm in diameter and purely mischievous!

Cheers,
~Al

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

More
16 years 4 months ago #57193 by eansbro
Replied by eansbro on topic Re: weather/scientific balloons
Valentia Observatory, Co. Kerry, sends radio sonde balloons up every 12 hours. These balloons are at MSL mean sea level with a diameter of about 2.5 metres. When they reach upper atmospheric levels of 50k feet they expand to about 4 metres. They are used for determining atmospheric data at 12 hours and midnight, 24/7.

You would probably need a balloon of at least 2 metres assuming a small payload like a camera to reach 20k feet. You would also have to consider avoiding jet streams where the wind velocities are high, ie. 100 - 160km/hr. This data can be obtained through T Phi grams from Met Eireann. Mainly used for pilots.

Met Eireann may know the regulations regarding sizes for sending balloons up.

Eamonn A

More
16 years 4 months ago #57194 by mconnors
Replied by mconnors on topic Re: weather/scientific balloons
I was thinking if I launched it some where in the midlands it would reduce the chance of it going out to sea. Other projects that I have read about seem to travel < 100 miles from launch point. I would like to equip it with an onboard mini computer which has a gps, radio and camera attached.

Time to create page: 0.119 seconds