K-Tec

require a list of the allignment stars in the celestron goTo

• fguihen
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
16 years 4 months ago #57281 by fguihen
Im having trouble learning the night sky and thus alligning my scope. Each time i try to allign i have to go through tons of stars i dont know to get to some i do know. I cant look up the stars and see what constellation they are in as my atlas isnt a great one and doesnt have an index of stars, so im asking for two pieces of info here:

1. name of a good sky atlas that has an index of all stars and the constellation they are in.

2. A list of all the allignment stars in the celestron cg5 goTo mount, so that i can learn what constellation they are in.

Thanks all.

"Success is the happy feeling you get between the time you do something and the time you tell a woman what you did." Dilbert.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 4 months ago #57288 by lunartic_old
When I'm aligning with my CG-5 I use the quick align, this selects three stars, two on one side of the meridian and one on the other. The computer generally selects well known stars such as Capella, Kochab or Deneb. It tends to pick the same stars at the approximate same time of the years so you quickly learn where they are.

I have scrolled down the list of stars and I agree that the vast majority of them are unknown to me, some with names that I find hard to pronouce.

I'm sorry I can't help with an atlas, I use Uranometria and the Deep-Sky Observers Guide, neither of which will help you.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.

Rich Cook

• carlobeirnes
  • IFAS Sponsor & Astronomer of the Year 2013
More
16 years 4 months ago #57289 by carlobeirnes
Hi mate.
Tell me what way you are setting up your scope time, date and if the hand control says standard time and not daylight savings .Because your alignment stars should be at least in the finder scope plus is your mount pointing north. Sorry about all the Questions but i need you to go through things step by step. to see what your doing wrong.

Carl O’Beirnes,
Scopes and Space Ltd,
Unit A8 Airside Enterprise Centre,
Swords, Co Dublin,
Ireland.
www.scopesandspace.ie/
www.facebook.com/scopesandspace
twitter.com/ScopesandSpace
www.youtube.com/user/ScopesandSpace

• fguihen
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
16 years 4 months ago #57290 by fguihen
before I turn on the scope, I roughly allign polaris through the hole where the polar allignment scope would go. I then Set the scope to the reference marks on the mount. Once i turn it on I set the time to the current time, city dublin, standard time.
I do a two star allign with two eastern stars, then a polar allign, then another two star allign, followed by a two star calibration.

The problem is not the stars its listing. Im pretty sure its listing stars that are all in view, the problem is that I dont know the name of many stars in the west ( i know mainly the east , orion, gemini, ursa major).

I have a star atlas, but it doesnt have an index of stars, so when the mount gives me a list of stars in the west, I cant look them up and see what particular star it is in what constellation. thats why i need to know the name of a good sky atlas that has an index of the stars so that when the hand controller presents me with a star i dont know, i can look it up in the atlas.

I dont think im doing anything wrong in my allignment as when i do an allignment on the stars i know ( all in the east :oops: ) and calibrate it ( with more eastern stars :oops: ) it works fine.

"Success is the happy feeling you get between the time you do something and the time you tell a woman what you did." Dilbert.

• carlobeirnes
More
16 years 4 months ago #57291 by carlobeirnes
Do you have any softwere like starynight if not download stellarium or cartes du ciel the two of them are freewear any of these will help you with your alignment stars hope this helps my tip is learn the constilations first then get to know the stars in the different constilations let me know how you get on.

Carl O’Beirnes,
Scopes and Space Ltd,
Unit A8 Airside Enterprise Centre,
Swords, Co Dublin,
Ireland.
www.scopesandspace.ie/
www.facebook.com/scopesandspace
twitter.com/ScopesandSpace
www.youtube.com/user/ScopesandSpace

• fguihen
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
16 years 4 months ago #57292 by fguihen
il download stellarium tonight and give it a look. Il let you know how i get on. Thanks Carl and Paul.

Time to create page: 0.111 seconds