K-Tec

require a list of the allignment stars in the celestron goTo

• DaveGrennan
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
More
16 years 4 months ago #57293 by DaveGrennan
Fintan,

I think what the guys are saying is don;t worry about the names, just select what the telescope offers. If you have your mount roughly pointed north and the finderscope is lined up then all you do is centre the brightest star in your finderscope.

If you feel the need to actually choose the alignment stars then by all means download stellarium and pick two stars on either side of the east and west meridian before you go outside.

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• fguihen
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
16 years 4 months ago #57294 by fguihen
ah, i see. cool. ive been neglecting the finder scope actually, using only the telrad. il have to start taking the time to put on the finder scope anymore. that should teach me the names of many stars also. much better than learning from memory from my atlas, and then repeatedly drawing out the constellations and trying to ame the stars. Thanks all.

"Success is the happy feeling you get between the time you do something and the time you tell a woman what you did." Dilbert.

More
16 years 4 months ago #57699 by jeyjey
Fintan --

I don't know of one for the Celestron, but this link points to a PDF document which has a handy star chart of all the Meade AutoStar alignment stars. I printed it out and laminated it and keep it with my scope.

www.weasner.com/etx/autostar/AlignmentStars497A4.pdf

At a guess, I'd bet there's a good deal of overlap between the Celestron and Meade choices.

Cheers,
-- Jeff.

Nikon 18x70s / UA Millennium                              Colorado:
Solarscope SF70 / TV Pronto / AP400QMD             Coronado SolarMax40 DS / Bogen 055+3130
APM MC1610 / Tak FC-125 / AP1200GTO               Tak Mewlon 250 / AP600EGTO

More
16 years 4 months ago #57856 by stevie
Fintan

In the Cg5 mount, the main alignment stars are (with English constellation names)

Vega - alpha Lyra
Deneb - alpha Cygnus
Dubhe - alpha Ursa Major
Rasalhague - alpha Ophiuchus
Mizar - zeta Ursa Major
Albireo - beta Cygnus
Capella - alpha Auriga
Mirfak - Alpha Perseus
Menkalinan - beta Auriga
Hamal - alpha Aries
Alpheratz - alpha andromeda
Mirach - beta andromeda
Caph - b Cassiopeia
Scheat - beta Pegasus
Navi - gamma Cassiopeia

note. Algenib is also listed, usually this is gamma Perseus, but is also a name sometimes used for Mirfak!

Hope this helps.

More
16 years 4 months ago #57857 by stevie
Sorry Fintan

In answer to your first question, if you have a star's name, just enter it in wikipedia, and you will learn everything you need to know, and more! (with the usual warning that wikipedia is not always to be trusted completely. It's ok with most astronomical subjects though).

More
16 years 4 months ago #57885 by Tonybwf
Replied by Tonybwf on topic Re..
Hi fintan,

if your looking for a good atlas try "NIGHT SKY ATLAS" by DK i had problems like you and i found this book easy to understand, it has see threw pages of the main constellations....a good week of study of it an youl be able to look up and see the shape of any the main ones or buy a celestron sky-scout i got 1 from santa its excellent

ps: what i mean by see threw pages is you have a page with the constellation in star form then you have a second page that covers the star page with the stars joined up and named

book is only €21

Regards
Tony

"What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Time to create page: 0.104 seconds