K-Tec

Go To Mounts

More
16 years 3 months ago #58366 by pj30something
Replied by pj30something on topic Re: Go To Mounts
I can easily see M42. It looks great in my scope...............small but better then i have ever seen it.

I mean if i want to see the whole of Orion.....................what size EP would i need?

If you mean the constellation, there is no way ... it is way too large and, in fact, even binoculars will not help you.

Thats what i was thinking. I have never seen it as a whole with bins...........i thought maybe a telescope with a good EP would see it as a whole constellation.

Paul C
My next scope is going to be a Vixen VMC200L Catadioptric OTA

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 3 months ago #58367 by ayiomamitis
Replied by ayiomamitis on topic Re: Go To Mounts

I can easily see M42. It looks great in my scope...............small but better then i have ever seen it.

M42 looks stunning in a 14" SCT ... in fact I have also caught a slight greenish tint for colouration.

I mean if i want to see the whole of Orion.....................what size EP would i need?

It is not possible. The field of view for Orion is so large that no telescope would allow you to fit all of Orion. It is for this reason above I mention a 50mm lens .... such a lens in a gross way is similar to a "telescope" whose focal length is 50 mm (yours is 1000 mm in focal length).

Anthony Ayiomamitis
Athens, Greece
www.perseus.gr

More
16 years 3 months ago #58368 by ayiomamitis
Replied by ayiomamitis on topic Re: Go To Mounts

If you mean the constellation, there is no way ... it is way too large and, in fact, even binoculars will not help you.

Thats what i was thinking. I have never seen it as a whole with bins...........i thought maybe a telescope with a good EP would see it as a whole constellation.

Binoculars have a field of view which is around three degrees from what I recall. In other words, you can fit the three stars in Orion's belt within the field of view and which, of course, is a miniscule portion of Orion.

There is no combination of telescope and eyepiece that will allow you to see all of Orion at the same time within the field of view. It is way too large to fit in.

Anthony Ayiomamitis
Athens, Greece
www.perseus.gr

More
16 years 3 months ago #58372 by pj30something
I couldn't believe how good M42 looked in my scope the first time i focused in on it. All my life (using 7X50 bins) it was a tiny blob of redish/pink light with no detail. In my new scope it is about 3 times as large when viewing and i can see SOME detail......................but no colour. It appears in B&W.

Why is this?

Paul C

More
16 years 3 months ago #58374 by pj30something
My main interest is viewing nebs and galaxies. I know my scope wont do that too well. I will very soon invest in a scope that will allow me to do this. Carl is about to buy such a scope. I'm thinking that pretty soon i will follow him.

I really want to do some serious deep sky observing.

Lets face it.................nebs and galaxies are the prettiest things in the sky next to planets (if not better).

Paul C

More
16 years 3 months ago #58375 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Go To Mounts

Unfortunately astronomy in general is a very expensive hobby. The difference between €200 and €2000 is VAST in terms of how well you see things. B

It is a bottomless pit!.
Just when you think you've all the equipment you'll ever need, you discover the Denkmeir2 which mean you now need 2 of every eyepiece, the spending spree goes on.... :cry: oh dear.!

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

Time to create page: 0.106 seconds