K-Tec

Advise on a DSLR

More
16 years 2 months ago #63276 by Keith g
Replied by Keith g on topic Re:
Hi Brian, I have a Canon 400D, and have to say it's a great camera :P but when all said and done, the 350D will perform just as well. There is no notable noise difference between both cameras, and of course the price is higher for the 400D.

Keith..

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 2 months ago #63279 by pj30something
Replied by pj30something on topic Re: Advise on a DSLR
The 400 looks nicer then the 350.

Can you tell i'm the type of guy that sales people sell the more expensive things to cuz i dont know what i'm talking about,LOL.

Dont rule out Nikon. Great camera's and a bit cheaper too (as stated above).

But what do i know..................

Short of kicking the tyres.................they are all the same to me.

Paul C
My next scope is going to be a Vixen VMC200L Catadioptric OTA

More
16 years 2 months ago #63313 by Frank Ryan
Replied by Frank Ryan on topic Re: Advise on a DSLR
If it's a choice between the 350D & 400D
buy the 350D.
It's cheaper and does the same as the 400.
The only real difference is the 400 has a bigger screen.

My Astrophotography
Shannonside Astronomy Club __________________________________________
Meade ETX-125PE, Bresser 10 x 50 Binos & Me Peepers

More
16 years 2 months ago #63423 by smahon
Replied by smahon on topic Re: Advise on a DSLR
Just to throw in my 2 cents worth, it depends on whether you want to use it only for astrophotography or for general photography.
The 400d has some good advantages over the 350d for general photography (easier access to menus, 9-point autofocus, 10MP sensor, sensor cleaning), but I don't think these improvements would make much of a difference with astrophotography.

Also, don't completely discount the Nikon D40 (or 40X):
- You already have some older lenses (manual focus is what you would use for astrophotography anyway)
- It's cheaper than the Canon
- The viewfinder is supposed to be a lot brighter than the canon (easier to see the stars when focusing.
- less megapixels, but that doesn't really matter unless you are looking for huge prints.

dpreview.com is always a good reference for camera reviews

Good luck with your choice.

More
16 years 2 months ago #63478 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Advise on a DSLR
When I was looking around the net to also give an answer to Brian's question, I found that it is simply because the 350D is cheaper than the 400D, but carries the bulk of the 400D for the cheaper price. Yes, you are talking 8MP versus 10MP, but that is not a huge comparison to say Go for the 400D only! Again, shop around, because when there is competition, there will always be a bargain. And keep a thought on the Nikon remarks too. Paul Evans uses a Sony A700 and also gets some great shots from that. I don't know what he paid for that though.

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
16 years 2 months ago #63487 by fguihen
Replied by fguihen on topic Re: Advise on a DSLR
Komplett.ie is offering the 400D for €575, which is the cheapest ive saw it retailing at. If im not allowed mention retailers here then mods, please let me know and remove the post. Thanks

"Success is the happy feeling you get between the time you do something and the time you tell a woman what you did." Dilbert.

Time to create page: 0.103 seconds